Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I am looking at buying a handset as back-up and for hangar/ground use. What are the favorites out there?

I have heard some negative feedback on the Sporty's unit (VOR/GS) related to build quality. I was looking at it closely.

Now looking at the ICOM and YAESU units. YAESU seems to have a full set of features (incl. localizer with CDI, comes with rechargable battery pack etc.) and waterproof. ICOM same features just more expensive.

Thanks,

Sandy

I inherited a Sporty's handheld com with the VOR feature about 10 years ago and it's still plugging along. It does go through AA batteries pretty fast. My only gripe about it is the com out is pretty much worthless out of the pattern unless you're using an external antenna. You can receive from further away but don't expect to be heard. In short, I have nothing bad to say about the unit, within its limitations, but I think there are better units out there.

I recently flew with a guy who had a handheld YAESU and frankly, I was impressed with the performance. Without an external antenna he was able to communicate from some distance (5-10 nm I'd guess) and we could get ATIS from at least 10 nm. It was smaller and appeared more rugged but I don't know if it actually is more rugged.

Let's just say if I inherit another handheld, I'd prefer a YAESU.

The SP400 is built nice. The VOR/LOC/GS works like they say it does and could be used in a dire emergency. The screen can be hard to read in some cases. It is not high contrast like they show in all the pictures and you can't adjust that.

The radio has good range but it is very prone to pick up noise interference.

The accessories are way to expensive for what they are.

Thanks Don & Brantel

Both comments agree with what I have heard from friends and at the hangar. The Sporty's unit is pricey with all the add-ons that come standard on both iCom and Yaesu units. However many at the airport swear by the Sporty's unit, so I'm not down on it.

But apples to apples the Yaesu is about 1/2 the price bottom line. And remember this isn't a day to day radio. It will be back-up on board and mostly used while working on my 8 listening to traffic for now.:D

Sounds like Yaesu it is.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Sandy

I have the original Sportys unit - VOR bearings (digital) only, no localizer. It's my back up, and I have shot acceptable VOR approaches with it (under the hood). My only complaint is that it is easy to bump the volume control to 'on' if it is in a flight bag, and then you find you have dead batteries when you want to use it. I used to keep the battery pack removed, just to avoid this. But now I have a seat pocket to keep it in, so it is not the issue it was.

If you plan to use the unit with a headset I recommend you test the radio (Tx especially) with the headset you propose to use. I have posted elsewhere on the subject but the difficulty is with the microphone interface within the radio.

Most dynamic and capacitive headset microphone inserts require some power from the radio, the requirements vary so the radio has to be compatible.

I have and would recommend the Icom A6. It works very well with my Bose X headset, but not with a cheap headset that has a dynamic mic. Icom say they are compatible with DCs.

Decided on Yeasu FTA-310

I finally settled on this one and found a great deal at Touch and Go Pilot Supplies for $239 with free shipping. Spoke with several who have it and well pleased.

VXA300.jpg

Here is a link to the store site: http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/yaesufta310airbandtransceiver.aspx

Sandy