DonFromTX

Well Known Member
My kit is finally on the way, shipped 21 Jan! I will have to go pick up my kit, complete except avionics and engine, from the truck terminal in a day or two. I have my pickup truck to haul it in
I have seen painted arrows on the crates in builders web sites indicating that the crates must be handled only with a specified side up. It would be far easier to load them on the truck of course if I can stand some on their sides.
My question is, are these crates packed so that you can turn them any way you need to to load, or must they be kept oriented by the arrows?

My question is, are these crates packed so that you can turn them any way you need to to load, or must they be kept oriented by the arrows?

Glad your kit is on the way now, Don!
To answer your question, my truckers never cared about those silly little arrows (I guess that's what they're thinking). The last delivery, the fuselage kit was stored in their trunk on its side. Nothing bad happened to the contents. As you're very likely to handle the boxes with much more care than these professionals I would think you're fine.
Keep in mind though that some of the boxes are really heavy, so bring somebody to make the handling a bit easier.

Crates

Don, As previously mentioned the arrows are only there for the truckers to disregard. The $$ signs on the crates are for the forklift drivers to aim at with a good running start. Don't even let them load crates into your truck until you examine all sides of each crate for fork holes.

You and another guy your size will have no problems handling the crates. If you have a furniture dolly or two in your hangar, you can put the crates on wheels. Plug in the charger on your cordless drill; lots of screws holding crates together.

Jim
RV12 #120264 flying 11 hours.

Don, if you could borrow a 16' flat bead trailer life would be easier, especially if you are trying to make it in one trip. The spar crate is about 16' long. I would not turn the finish kit on its side or up side down. The landing gear, wheels and brakes are packaged and secured under the canopy. If they come loose, it could be a nightmare for you.

Thanks guys. I am contemplating putting the wing spar box and possibly the Empennage box on their sides for the trip. Not absolutely necessary, but makes loading and unloading easier. All others will be which ever direction the arrows point.

Partain Transportation

Partain Transportation moves kits and airplanes door to door. No fork lifts and no hassle. Often less money than the brand name cross country movers who have no appreciation for airplane kits, etc.

To late for you to change your transportation company but, as a very satisfied Partain customer, I recommend that you all check out Partain Transportation before you have Van's ship your kits, etc. I have no interest in Partain Transportation - haven't even met the man - just a very satisfied customer.:cool:

I guess they did not want to come to this part of the country, Vans chose BAX Global for me. I was very impressed with the cost and speed, $726.50 from Vans to Brownsville TX, quite a trip, that is for all except the engine and avionics. Vans quoted me $881 shipping back before I decided to buy one. It will all arrive at Dallas at 1925 hrs today. We will see how well they treated it about Thursday I guess.

You saved a bundle buying all those kits at once. The finishing kit cost me $600.00 alone. Oregon to Maryland. Good luck on your build Don.

That was why I did it that way, saved over $500 for the total shipment according to Vans quotes by shipping all at once. I have a one ton dually diesel just sitting around doing nothing anyway, and some crates go to the hangar for storage, some to my garage at home, so I saved some more by picking it up at the terminal. Professional tightwadery at its finest.

Lets Try it Again

This proves you can haul an RV 12 on a pickup truck! All crates were right side up, no forklift damage, they look really good.
2rqhqhw.jpg

Last edited:
And now you're going to be busy for the next 2 or 3 days to do your inventory. Boy, that is the only part I don't like too much about this ... :) Glad you got your kit now, Don. Now, load that rivet gun! :D