Juicegoose

Well Known Member
I've got an oppurtunity to buy a used ic-21 for 75 bucks is it worth it? Right now i would mainly use it for scanning channels while i'm building and of course take it with me as a backup when i fly. But is it a good radio or would my money be better spent somewhere else.

Yes it is a good radio.
If it's second hand the batteries are most likely shot.

I have an A22 (similar to the A21) and I opened the battery box, chucked the old nicads and fitted AAA formfactor NiMH as replacement. Got more capacity in the bargain.
Works like a charm.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I too have an A-22. Perfect for what I need it for. If it comes with the AA alkaline battery pack, simply purchase AA rechargeables for it.

One caveat...

The IC-21 requires an optional adapter (HS-20SB) that allows an aviation headset to be used with it. It is also required if you expect to interface the IC-21 to your avionics.

I used the IC-21, wired through the HS-20SB, as com 2 on a PS Engineering PMA-4000. It worked well. With the HS-20SB, any other similar Icom radio of that era, such as an IC-32, or U-16 could also be used as com 2.

The IC-22 does not require the impedance matching that is performed by the HS-20SB. My present setup has the IC-22 connected to the PMA-4000 Com 2 directly.

I still have the IC-21 in my flight case as backup.

Ensure that the radio comes with at least the wall charger, belt hook, manual and antenna. Otherwise, it may not be a good deal; a good radio, yes; a good deal, no.

Last edited: