LuisR

Well Known Member
How good are handheld comms compare to scanners?

They reason that I ask is I have a Uniden Sportcat 180 scanner that doesn't seem to have good reception unless your within a 1/2 mile to the transmitter. Are the Aviation handheld comms better than this? The main reason a purchased this was in case of an emergency, at least I could still receive. I think I paid 80 bucks for it a few years ago.

Thanks

We have some handheld Icom's where I work and they are kind of mediocre sometimes too. Of course I went out just now and played with the IC-A20 and it is working great tonight (making a liar of me so I edited my posting here). But truthfully, keeping the ni-cad batteries healthy (we need to use them more often) has been the bigger problem with ours. I would buy one if I were looking for a backup handheld. Some certified aircraft owners have put in an antenna on the belly of the fuselage with a BNC connector to get better performance. Of course, most people don't want that on their streamlined RV.

Last edited:
Vertex VXA210 Lite

I've got one of the basic Vertex Pilot's VXA210 Lites. Works great in my plane. I can get ATIS about the same time my King radio gets it. Also was able to get a VOR station at about 80 miles out. I have the one with regular AA batteries, stores better that way. It fits in the standard Van's glove box quite well. I paid about 240.00 and that was with a headset adaptor.

I got mine from these guys:
http://www.flightessentials.net/