Main Squeeze

The Cleaveland Main Squeeze is the one I have and it works really well.

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SCH22

I also have a 3" regular yoke, a 4" "thin nose" yoke, and a longeron (or flange) yoke. I find all of these are useful. I also have an adjustable set holder for both the Main Squeeze and my pnuematic squeezer and wouldn't be without it.

Squeezer Bolt is weak

Avery squeezer is good, it served me well during construction. The only thing in this thing is squeezer threaded bolt. I broke three of them, they wear out and crack inside female part. Maybe because I do not have pneumatic and hand tool works harder than usual. If you decide to buy that tool and squeeze everything with it buy two extra bolts and keep them handy because when it brakes in the middle of a job to get a new one even with the best customer service takes a bit of time. And wellcome to RV world!

Last edited:
... If you decide to buy that tool and squeeze everything with it buy two extra bolts and keep them handy because when it brakes in the middle of a job to get a new one even with the best customer service takes a bit of time. And wellcome to RV world!
Good advice.

I used the Avery squeezer for my -9, (did not use or own a pneumatic squeezer) and by the end of the project I had to replace the original bolt as well.

The yokes you buy are just as important. You can get by with three:
1) 4" No Hole - $150
2) Longeron - $150
3) 3" Standard - $140

Holy cow! I had no idea the prices had gone up that much for these things. You can save money by buying one of the above yokes with the squeezer.

The Cleaveland Main Squeeze requires much less effort.
Which means that you're less likely to bend over rivets because you are much better able at keeping the squeezer aligned with the rivet. If you're not going to get a pneumatic, then the Main Squeeze is the way to go. If you are going to get a pneumatic anyway, then go with the Avery or some cheaper squeezer.

Bill I am glad I am not alone. Nothing wrong with the tool - it works excellent ( when it works :)) I broke the bolt, ordered new one, got wrong (square) one, sent them old broken, they were at SnF, promtply sent me correct one with apology - three weeks are gone.

Which hand squeezer

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to get the Cleveland "Main Squeeze". It's more expensive but over the life of the project I'm sure my weary arms and hands will appreciate the easier to use tool.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to get the Cleveland "Main Squeeze". It's more expensive but over the life of the project I'm sure my weary arms and hands will appreciate the easier to use tool.

FWIW, my hands and arms never got tired with the Avery either. It's kind of like squeezing " almost nothing" to do these small rivets. However, the Cleveland is the other good one I had in mind.

L.Adamson

Squeezer

Cleveland. For #3 rivets you can actually operate it with one hand by holding it close to the head. Gives you an all around better feel for most consistent riveting.

Ken

To add fuel to the fire, I love my Avery. Uses the same yokes as my both my pneumatic squeezers and has a great feel.

Like my Tatco

I'm almost through my tail kit and although I have a pneumatic and an Avery squeezer, I have found that the Tatco with the little no-hole yoke is great for getting into tight spots.

The main squeeze takes the same yokes as the pneumatic, so you can leverage the yoke investments for both. And I'll echo the previous post that I think you'll still want a smaller yoke squeezer like the tatco to reach some areas.

Last edited:
$$$

I've bought many tools from Avery and Cleveland (and ATS and Brown) over the last 4 years. As noted above, both the A & C squeezers use standard CP yokes and both are quality products but the Avery is about 2/3 the price of the Cleveland and somewhat less bulky.

Steve

Don't the Tatco's use their own yokes that won't interchange with the CP pneumatics? If so, you have to spend a lot of $ on yokes should you decide to upgrade to a pneumatic. That additional cost for yokes would deter some from upgrading; if they had bought an Avery or Cleavland, no problem.