Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
I am building a 7 tip up. My wife has really bad knees and I am looking for a way to add a hand hold to aide in getting in and out of plane. There does not seem to be much to support a hand hold on the panel or sub panel. Any thoughts would help.

If you were building a slider instead of a tip-up, you could install handles similar to the ones on my RV-6. They are a great feature for helping to hoist yourself up out of the seat.

Pic showing handles at the top of the forward roll bar:

img57311.jpg

You're right

There isn't a good place for a hand hold on a tip up. My wife typically holds on to the rollover bar, steps in onto the seat, then sits on the top of the seat back, holds on to the fuselage side and slides down into position. Getting out is a reverse of that procedure and a little more difficult.

Thanks. I wish I could install the hand hold like the 6 slider. I thought about a similar hand hold but just above air vent where longeron support for panel and sub panel is. I thought I might could add support to this areavof longeron support and then add hand hold just where it flares away from fuselage. Any thoughts.

If you were building a slider instead of a tip-up, you could install handles similar to the ones on my RV-6. They are a great feature for helping to hoist yourself up out of the seat.!!

Neal can you give specifics on the handles? Where bought, how attach, etc? Thanks a bunch!!

Neal can you give specifics on the handles? Where bought, how attach, etc? Thanks a bunch!!
It would be a real bummer to hit your head on one of those handles in an emergency. If you are going to use them, I'd recommend installing them as parallel to the slider portion of the canopy as possible.

I've found that handles really aren't necessary if you grab (with your inboard hand) on the underside of the roll bar while climbing over the fuselage side and then shift your grip to the roll bar brace as you slide down into the seat. Reverse the order getting out.

Last edited:
It would be a real bummer to hit your head on one of those handles in an emergency. If you are going to use them, I'd recommend installing them as parallel to the slider portion of the canopy as possible.

I've found that handles really aren't necessary if you grab (with your inboard hand) on the underside of the roll bar while climbing over the fuselage side and then shift your grip to the roll bar brace as you slide down into the seat. Reverse the order getting out.

I thought of the head thing. Then I bought seat belts... :p Just kidding. I think they will not let me go that far forward. I just don't want people grabbing my fiberglass. I am going to put in a strip of carbon but still. No matter how much you tell them it's still going to happen. Besides if I crash that hard I want my beautiful roll bar to have something soft to hit (head). May be the only piece not bent!

The handles were already on the plane when I bought it (I didn't build it). They look a lot like these: http://www.aircraftextras.com/Handles1.htm but I think mine are stainless steel, not aluminum.... maybe they were salvaged from some old piece of rack-mounted electronics gear or something???

Next time I see the builder, I'll ask him.

In an emergency situation, I think the prospect of slicing your face off on the metal glare shield overhang is a much greater danger than bumping your head on the handles. The solution to both problems is simple.... don't ever crash the darn thing ;)

Maybe not necessary for you, but for some people, it can make the difference of them going or not. Making it easier for my wife to get in and out makes it much easier to justify spending the money on a plane.

I've been trying to come up with a plan for a temp. brace that goes from threshold to threshold or arm rest to arm rest and could be stowed behind the seats. There must be a way to make it easier to get in and out. Well, maybe not - now they have the 14 and it is a whole lot easier.

Last edited:
Two problems

I fly with my wife who has seven fractured vertabrae due to her cancer, so I am familiar with your issues. The RV-10 is much easier to board than the RV-6A.

You have two problems:
>Tail dragger has you sitting at an angle
>Tip up is less friendly for entry/exit

Most folks in a side by side use their feet a lot to push up their body to try and sit on the back of the seat before standing up to exit. The SBS aircraft have your feet almost straight out in front of you,like a sports car.

If carpet is not secured or floor is slippery, that adds to the problem. Consider riveting a piece of 3/4 angle across the floor between the right side rudders and the seat to give her something to push against.

Perhaps a console between the seats would also give her something to push up against.

Blessings!