Toddav8r

Looks like I may be moving my family and the RV-8 project courtesy of the USAF. I could be Langley AFB bound pretty soon, and would like a gouge on the local airports and RV environment. Is Newport News a general aviation friendly airport? Not needing hangar space very soon...just curious...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Todd,

I don't know about the RV gang there but VA has a very active group and a good fly-in in the spring.

My '41 T-Craft went to Hampton Roads, VA so I know there is some good pilot type people in that area.

Good luck with the move!

Todd,
I can recommend two airports but may be a bit far from Hampton. They are Chesapeake Regional and Suffolk Executive and south of Norfolk. Each have active experimental communities and good FBOs and hangers.

Good Luck,
Glenn Wilkinson

Langley is awesome

We had a blast at Langley's flying club and they do allow members to park their personal airplanes at the base club for a minimal fee. But you'll have to park it outside which is a block away from salt water.

Flying their is a blast, Jamestown for the ghost Navy fleet, Tangier Island for a crab cake and Kitty Hawk all within a short hop.

Newport News is a great regional airport. Commercial flights are sometimes same price as Norfolk and general aviation is easily sequenced in. Newport News is within site of Langley's pattern and a carefree VFR hop. I never looked for a hanger at Newport News, but I would if we returned.

1FW or ACC?

Williamsburg-Jamestown

Another field to check out is the Williamsburg-Jamestown airport (JGG). Latest AirNav lists 67 aircraft on the field; of these, 66 are single engine. It's about a 30-45 min. drive from Langley.

As a side note, Fort Eustis is being aligned with Langley in terms of base operations (part of 2005 BRAC decisions). Felker Army Airfield at Fort Eustis may/may not be an option depending on policy decisions...it's about 20 min. from Langley.

Good hunting,
Mike

Hi TODDAV8R...

...my son Matt will be based at Langley around the end of October. He was a great help to me on my RV-6A project. If you are looking for a "buck'n buddy", get back to me when you get settled in and I can exchange your contact numbers.

Local Airports in the Hampton Roads Area

Todd.
I built a RV-4 and keep it up at West Point Airport, a great GA airport; fair gas prices, jump club, good FBO, etc. Its about 35 north of Langley so if you live toward Williamsburg its an easy drive.

Rich