billnaz

Well Known Member
I just finished the 3rd flight with my new Halo in the ear head phones. ANR is obsolete, and I will never willingly wear a brain clamp again! My only concern is that I may forget I've got 'em on and break 'em getting out of the plane. I highly recommend them. There have been some negative opinions in other posts, but man, at $350 bucks it's the best deal in aviation right now. (forgive the hyperbole)

www.quiettechnologies.com

Ditto for Clarity Aloft

I have the same thoughts for the Clarity Aloft headsets. I tried the Halo and found the Clarity even more comfortable.

What to believe, I guess have to try for self

billnaz said:
I just finished the 3rd flight with my new Halo in the ear head phones. ANR is obsolete, and I will never willingly wear a brain clamp again!
Really? Obsolete? I mean what full cup ANR head set are we comparing? I just find it hard to believe the hear plug units provide the same overall noise reduction to the Lil old ear drums. As you indicated there are mixed reviews, but you have to try for yourself, but that is cool. Good info.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Really? Obsolete? I mean what full cup ANR head set are we comparing? I just find it hard to believe the hear plug units provide the same overall noise reduction to the Lil old ear drums. Many I have read as you indicated are not as enthused as you are, but that is cool. Good info.
I've used the Bose, Lightspeed 20XL, 25XL, and Thirty 3G, all ANR...and I much prefer the QT Halo over all of those ANR variants. YMMV

I find that if I don't have a really good seal then the in-ear type can be louder. But with a good seal, it's as good or better than ANR imho.

gmcjetpilot said:
I just find it hard to believe the hear plug units provide the same overall noise reduction to the Lil old ear drums.
I know...hard to believe George, but I checked with PhD Audiologists recommended by my Flight Surgeons, and they confirmed it - better hearing protection than ANR's. You just don't get that satisfying "sucking sound" that happens when you turn the ANR on.... :rolleyes:

I bought a set of Clarity Aloft for my wife and she enjoys flying alot more.
I tried them instead of my Lightspeeds and I'm going to buy another pair for myself at Sun n Fun. So much from so little and unbelieveable performance. I'll never go back to the head squeezers. Unless the wife flies before Sun n Fun.

3135F
72hrs

Amen

My Halo QT's are the best by far of any ANR headset I've used, including Bose...And by quite a margin!

Just wish my Wife could get along with earplugs.

Frank 7a

Halo

I prefer the Halo over the Bose, Thirty 3G, X-11, and Mach 1. Best part is you can wear any kind of hat with 'em and you hardly notice they are on. Just my 2 cents.

Marc

I like my QT Halo Headsets!!!

You'd have to pry my QT Halo's out of my clinched fists to get me to give them up. I really, really like them. I'm not saying they are for everybody, but they are for me!
I've tried Lightspeed, Bose, and David Clark headsets, and I believe the QT Halo headsets are superior in noise reduction, comfort, sound quality (both speaker and microphone) and cost.
And like Dan said, YMMV.

Don :D

Gary Bricker

I think Phil, owner of QT will be at SWRFI again this year to do a forum. He is a Audiologist and can answer any questions. Don't tell anyone but he was the one that started the in ear program.

I agree the QTs are very nice, and a better value than Lightspeed and Bose. I've owned the progressive iterations of Lightspeed for years and like them; comfortable, but bulky. We have Bose at work (SATSair -- Cirrus, air taxi) they are less bulky, tiny bit more comfortable, (if you keep replacing the top padding) than L/S; much more expensive, much more reliable (Lightspeed has great customer service, but you need it often) and have a little better sound quality.

Thought I'd try the QTs and bought a set two weeks ago. Compact and easy to carry around, very comfy and light, much cheaper (maybe competition will drive the cost down even more, doesn't seem to be much to them). They are a little unwieldy to get set up. With the Bose I can just jump in the plane, throw on the headsets, done. The QTs always require a little awkward untangling, maneuvering, etc. not a big deal, but a little thing that adds up when you're flying 15-20 legs per week. The noise reduction is equal to the ANRs without the hassle of dealing with batteries. The sound quality is not nearly as good as the others, especially for XM radio.

Overall I'd say they are equal to the Bose, better than Lightspeed.