Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
I recently fabricated a rudder gust lock from PVC piping and I will be using this homemade device at Oshkosh but I still need a gust lock for the elevators and alierons. What store bought gust locks seem to work the best?

Use your lap belt

If you use your lap belt to hold the stick full aft it will lock them both in place without any external or extra device and you are unlikely to forget to remove it before flight.

Try: www.airgizmos.com
You'll still need a rudder lock, which can be accomplished by a bent wire pin between the rudder horn and stop. You'll see a lot of these as OSH, if you go.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I have a pair of Airgizmos locks (1 for elevator and one for aileron). They are built very well and work great, a bit spendy though. http://www.airgizmos.com/prod/ac2/index.asp

You can make your own from plastic parts found at the local harware store and some nylon cord. I used two plastic wall repair discs. These are the repair "patches" used when someone opens the door too hard and dents the wall. I'm sure there maybe be better things to use, but these worked great for several planes I made them for and sold them with the plane. I glue a 1/4 foam or felt pad to the bottom so the paint is not marred. The nylon strap is way over kill, IMHO.

Last edited:
In a pinch, a bungie cord wrapped around the rudder pedals will take care of the rudder and the seat belt over the stick.

In a pinch, a bungie cord wrapped around the rudder pedals will take care of the rudder and the seat belt over the stick.

I don't understand how that works. Since our rudders don't have return springs, don't both pedals just move aft together when the first gust hits, putting slack in both cables?

I don't understand how that works. Since our rudders don't have return springs, don't both pedals just move aft together when the first gust hits, putting slack in both cables?

I've got a return spring on each pedal. I put them in because I didn't like the rudder flapping around on the ground in a mild breeze.

I made gust locks for elevators, ailerons, and rudder from spare aluminum and a couple other things I had laying around in the hangar that are very effective and quite small (all 3 will fit in a sandwich size ziplock bag). They solidly hold all control surfaces in their faired positions. I would put a picture here, but Oshkosh will be over before I figured out how, so just come by homebuilt camping and have a look. I'm sure there are similar ones there as well. I actually have a spare rudder lock I'll give to anyone who wants it (first come first served).... had enough extra pieces to make two....

Scott Hersha
RV-8 Fastback
N184SB