“Gust Buster” Gust Control Systems are now available for more RV’s.

The Gust Buster is now available for the:
RV6A,
RV7A’s and RV9A’s with the upholstered gear weldment covers,
RV8 and RV8A.
Sorry the 8’s cost a little more… more engineering, material, welding and machining involved.

The RV12 Gust Buster is currently in production.
The RV10 Gust Buster is being tested and should be in production next week.

We have a 60 day money back guarantee, buy it try it, if you don’t believe it’s the best way to protect your airplane outside of a hangar we will give you your money back.
FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING during the month of MAY
(We are also including Canada in the free shipping)

www.wildblueinnovations.com

Thoughts Concerning Gust Protection​
Physics dictates, if the control surfaces are locked at or near the hinge points, giving the wind the advantage of leverage, the only question that remains is what velocity and direction of wind it will take to cause damage. Reports of those who have suffered such damage indicate you can expect it to occur during gusts near 50 knots.

Check out the “testing” videos on our website.​

The “Gust Buster” is designed specifically to provide protection during high energy wind events. The Gust Buster is a “gust control system.” It does not “lock” the control surfaces. It holds the control surfaces in the neutral position until the wind gusts reach threatening levels at which point it allows them to move and “unload” as it absorbs a significant amount of the energy and shock of the gust. Compression springs (for the rudder) and high density bungee cord (for the ailerons and elev.) are utilized in balance with control surface size to accomplish this protection. The compression springs also work as an internal “soft” stop for the rudder as they fully compress.

“Outside of a hangar, nothing protects like the Gust Buster”; is not just a slogan, ask someone who owns one.

Last edited:
RV-8 Gust Buster

I had the pleasure of testing out my new RV-8 Gust Buster last weekend while parked outside for a couple of nights at the West Coast Ravens formation clinic. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. This is a REALLY good design. Engineers know that a structure which will be subjected to dynamic loads--sometimes strong enough to break it--needs to have load relief designed in. Skyscrapers that sway slightly in the wind are the classic example of this. Same goes for airplane control surfaces...if you just lock them in place with no load relief, they WILL break given the right amount of gust. The Gust Buster locks all 3 axes in place firmly, but with just enough "give" so that when that big gust comes along during that Oshkosh afternoon T-storm, it won't let the metal bend around the hinges. I've seen it happen to a guy's plane, and it ain't pretty.

2. Material fit and finish is top notch, measurements are precise, and stowed size is nice and small with a convenient bag included.

3. Installation is straightforward and Loal was available by phone when I had a couple questions about mounting the forward D-rings for the bungees. Telephone support was timely and detailed and it's obvious that Loal is serious about making this a great product.

4. Lots of other RV pilots at this weekend's get together stopped by my airplane to check out the Gust Buster. They all really liked it too, so I predict we are going to be seeing more and more of these Gust Busters out there. Loal should get Aircraft Spruce, etc. to carry these if he hasn't already.

5. I have done a lot of research on how to tackle this problem of storing my pride and joy outside on cross country trips. I am convinced that the Gust Buster is the best solution out there for control surface protection (and the EAA tie down plans are the best for keeping it all on terra firma).

image_zps2e432bea.jpg

image_zpsccc88df7.jpg

Last edited:
4. Lots of other RV pilots at this weekend's get together stopped by my airplane to check out the Gust Buster. They all really liked it too, so I predict we are going to be seeing more and more of these Gust Busters out there. Loal should get Aircraft Spruce, etc. to carry these if he hasn't already.

5. I have done a lot of research on how to tackle this problem of storing my pride and joy outside on cross country trips. I am convinced that the Gust Buster is the best solution out there for control surface protection (and the EAA tie down plans are the best for keeping it all on terra firma).

Agree whole-heartedly. I sing the praise of the Gust Buster again and again to anyone willing to listen and/or check it out in my plane - it is sold on ACS BTW. It just works, and is quick and easy once you install/remove a couple times. Cannot beat Loal's customer service - great guy to deal with.

Used mine again 2 weeks ago - really work well!

I left my plane without anxiety at 26N (Ocean City, NJ). Wind was gusting 30+ knots. I like the fact that everything is inside and the surfaces have a little "give". 2 thumbs up!

BTW - I have no affiliation with these guys - just like their product!

Just purchased mine for my RV-10 and installed today. It works perfectly! No more using the tow bar and having it coming off when a gust of wind comes along. I highly recommend it. Thanks Vic Syracuse for the recommendation.

Don't forget the -4

Loal

I noticed you forgot to include the RV-4 in your post. You installed the gust buster on my RV-4 last year and it works great. I sleep better at night if I'm tied down outside on a trip.

Gerald Loyd

I have been using this system on my aircraft for around 2 years now, it's best system out there IMO.

Not forecast

I parked at Montgomery Field in San Diego last week for a couple of hours. No real forecast for high winds. After lunch, I felt like flying... so I hopped over to Gilespie Field. After tie down and gust locks installed... I watched a micro burst hit the parking spots. A lot of bouncing and jostling... then calm.
Back at Montgomery Field... around 5 PM a new outflow event occured.
The RV6 I had seen tied near the fence ended up as a torpedo on a Prius.
The gust fronts are intense and weather science is not up to the task of telling you when and where. Be safe out there.