rv9aviator

Well Known Member
My wife and I are looking for a location in Florida, Alabama, or Mississippi close to the water to fly to for three day weekends. Some time ago I found a motel with a grass strip close enough to walk to I think around Gulf Shores or Gulf port area. It was real close to the beach. I can't find it again now. I am looking for a low stress area to just hang out and relax. In Florida it would need to be in the pan handle area. Thanks in advance.

St. George Island

Was at a condo in the gated West end of the St. George Island last weekend. The condo and the Island were great. They have a "public" airport there, F47. $20.00 landing fee and $10.00 per night tie down. The airport is owned by the condo association.

We drove, so I don't know the logistics of getting a car dropped off. If you're interested, PM me and I'll get my wife to get the phone number of the people who schedule the condos and I'm sure they can fill you in on the airport and transportation.

Dauphin Island

Barb and I have found Dauphin Island (4R9) to be a neat little hideaway for either day trips to overnighters. Located just south of Mobile, AL. The runway was recently resurfaced and they have good tiedowns. It is a short walk to the Lighthouse Bakery for some great morning pastries and about a 15-20 minute walk to a fine beach and clear water.

We have stayed at the Gulf Breeze Motel several times, and although it is not five star it is comfortable and serves the purpose quite well. The motel is just across from the beach and a very short walk. You can see your plane on the ramp from the balcony. The Oar House is between the motel and beach and has great meals at a reasonable price.

The island shuttle for $1 will take you to the east end where history awaits. Fort Gaines is open for visits and was significant in the battle of Mobile Bay. Enjoy!

Both of those sound good. Does anyone know about Jack Edwards airport. JKA.

Gulf Shores is very much a tourist town, but it's nice.

If you rent a car the location is central to the Naval Aviation Museum (east, Pensacola) and Fort Morgan (west to where the sand ends).

Have not been to the airport recently, but (for example) in the past I've dropped in with a Cub and was treated as well or better than the guy in a Citation.

There's an old grass strip right on the beach in Navarre (1J9). Airnav reports soft spots. Anyone been there recently?

Barb and I have found Dauphin Island (4R9) to be a neat little hideaway for either day trips to overnighters. Located just south of Mobile, AL. The runway was recently resurfaced and they have good tiedowns. It is a short walk to the Lighthouse Bakery for some great morning pastries and about a 15-20 minute walk to a fine beach and clear water.

We have stayed at the Gulf Breeze Motel several times, and although it is not five star it is comfortable and serves the purpose quite well. The motel is just across from the beach and a very short walk. You can see your plane on the ramp from the balcony. The Oar House is between the motel and beach and has great meals at a reasonable price.

The island shuttle for $1 will take you to the east end where history awaits. Fort Gaines is open for visits and was significant in the battle of Mobile Bay. Enjoy!

Hey Bob, is this a "Pre-storm" or "Post-storm" report? I know that they got walloped pretty good by that last hurricane, and hadn't heard if they are back up and running since - anyone been there in the past month? It sounds like it has always been a good destination!

Paul

4R9 is alive and well

Thought I would check for Dauphin Island Airport status following Paul's post. Dauphin Island government (police and C of C) say it is at 100%.

Foley (5R4) looks like another spot to start from. We will rent a car anyway. Rnav says Jack Edwards has over 200 operations a day. That is a very busy airport if true.

Jim, if you have a car a fun day trip from Gulf Shores is to drive out to Ft Morgan, tour the fort and museum, then take the car ferry (it's right there) across Mobile Bay to Dauphin Island. Have lunch, beachcomb, and check out Ft Gaines. Then drive up to Mobile and find the original Wintzell's Oyster House at 605 Dauphin St for dinner. The original is nothing like the chain copies now scattered around the coast. After dinner just zip around the north end of the bay and south back to the coast.

Patti swears the Mobile Bay ferry is the closest she will ever get to making me take a cruise ;)

Both of those sound good. Does anyone know about Jack Edwards airport. JKA.

Jack Edwards is a very nice field. I've been there many times and the people that run the FBO are very nice. They have courtesy cars available and you'll be walking distance from LuLu's restaurant (Jimmy Buffett's sister).

Foley Alabama

When we travel to Fla. coast, I always land and park at Foley Alabama airport. Not busy, off beaten path, cost effective, and a local used car dealer brings a rental car from his lot. We did not go last summer.
jeff h
austin tx

Looks like Foley might have my vote so far. I like off the beaten path and a quieter airport. Dan, your suggestions look like a great way to spend 2 or 3 days goofing off. Thanks for the advice everyone.