Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
One of things we try to do when assisting builders as they get ready to fly is to help them create the AFM, prior to first flight, and with improvements and numbers obtained in Phase I testing. I am looking for an electronic guide that builders can use to create a good, basic aircraft flight manual. If anyone in the RV community has created one, or can point me in the direction of a good one, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Advisory Circular 60-6B discusses Airframe flight manuals and placarding.
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2060-6B/$FILE/AC60-6B.pdf

I think what you are looking for is a template to design your own. I couldn't find that, but might suggest that you look at the one Vans created for the RV-12 as a starting point from which you could create a generic template.
Good luck, and please share if you come up with something...

GAMA Specification 1

AFMs for just about all new certified GA airplanes were developed using the GAMA Specification 1 AFM format as a template. It may be overkill for an E-AB aircraft, but it's still a good starting point for developing your own AFM. There's some especially good stuff on which emergency procedures to document, how to present weight and balance information, developing systems systems, etc.

You can download it here, free of charge.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks guys. These are all good links. While many builders are conscientious about the AFM/POH, a good many builders (of all types of A-B aircraft) have not created one for their airplane. I think that for many, it might seem a daunting task. If we could provide a basic electronic shell that leads them to collect information during Phase I and plug it into the shell, they could readily create a good AFM. I think the most useable link is to some existing AFMs in MS Word format. While we could probably create something even better, it is a starting point. Thanks once again for pointing me in the right directions.

I don't want to speak for Kevin Horton, but I have looked at his Pilot's Operating Handbook for his RV-8....he clearly deomstrates that he is a true professional and WOW!!! What an excellent piece of work!

The link to his POH is here:

http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/POH/POH.pdf

Hope you don't mind Kevin, but it's such a great piece of work!!!