Mikey

Boy, am I tired! Talk about a lot of flying - about three weeks ago, Louise started flying me quite a bit ? first with Paul in the right seat, then with a nice older instructor fellow out in Carlsbad (it was fun to see the mountains again!) for a week, and then with Paul again this last week. We did lots of oval patterns and approaches to various airports. Today we went up to Navasota where Louise left me out on the ramp for a couple of hours and said she?d be back with some sort of examiner after doing what she called an ?oral?. I thought the examiner must be a dentist (or worse)! I sat out there in the summer getting pretty nervous at the thought of being examined (hey, I just had my condition inspection a couple of months ago!), and was relieved when she came out with a fellow and I figured out that the exam was for HER, and not for me!

We took off and bounced around the sky for what seemed like a long time, approaching several airports, but not landing, and finally ended up back where we started. (The examiner seemed ot think that I was a real challeneg in the bumpy air doing those approaches, but Louise is used to it, and I thought she did great.) After more time waiting on the ramp, Louise came out alone and seemed happy and relieved, clutching a new piece of paper, but obviously tired. We flew home to Houston, and Paul was waiting with a bottle of something the two of them obviously enjoyed while sitting in the open hangar and watching the sun go down.:cool:

It?s been a long time since Louise started to make my instrument panel more modern and reliable, and I guess this is what it was all for! Now I am looking forward to getting to fly in the clouds more often ? the Val tells me it is a lot of fun! But for now, we?re both tucked away in the hangar and waiting for some storm from the tropics to whip through. I?m glad the hangar is well built ? because they say the wind is going to blow, and lots of rain will fall.

I?m really happy for Louise, even though when she was putting me away, she said something about ?I don?t think I want to fly again for at least a few days?.?

Mikey

Great Job

Hardest bloody thing I ever did was to get my instrument ticket in an RV....You have my admiration and respect!...:)

Heres to many stress free trips in the clouds

Frank

Nice job!

I just got my instrument ticket not 3 weeks ago, in a nice cumbersome Cessna 182. Lucky for me the weather even cooperated and it was nice and smooth during my checkride. (Only took 3 re-schedules!)

Anyways, congrats from a fellow brand new instrument pilot!

Ditto - Congrats!

seemed to think that I was a real challeneg in the bumpy air doing those approaches

Mikey,
I did most of my training in the fall. Normally breezy and in the high part of the appalachians, very bumpy. I got used to Va speed being the de-facto Vne. :D I was so used to it by the check ride, I WANTED a rough ride with the examiner. I was scared I could not fly accurately enough on a smooth day. No probs. Ticket in hand. One of the happiest days of my life.

Again, congrats to you and Louise

Again, congrats to you and Louise

Ditto! I've heard it's the toughest ticket to get. You are to be commended for striving to improve your flying skills....and for "torturing" Mike & Paul! You would think they would help without whining about it! :eek:

Well Done! :D

Last edited:
Way to go, Louise!

Couldn't be happier (or more impressed) with your accomplishment.

Having a little time trying to keep a RV-6 right side up in a procedure turn in the bumps myself, I know you earned this!!!!

Well, well done!!!!

RV in IFR

Great job getting your ticket. The IFR ticket is not easy.

I just finished my 2 year IFR renewel and the first one ever done my RV7A. I actually find it the easiest IFR airplane to fly. No 50 year old instruments, unreliable avionics, not to mention the huge control inputs to get that **** 172 to actually maneuver. I love the responsiveness of the RV and admire its abilities in IFR.

Steve
RV7A
Flying since Aug '06

Thanks, folks

I've really had a lot of wonderful support from fellow pilots and it was a team effort. Two forum folks who really helped me were Paul (of course) and Larry Pardue. I started working on the ticket almost two years ago, in Carlsbad, NM, and moved through the training and written in just a few months despite my instructor being 100+ miles away. (Now, my instructor lives in Carlsbad and, as of today, there's an examiner on the field there. Bad timing on my part.) We scheduled the practical twice, and Mikey's long-in-the-tooth panel developed issues twice within 48 hours of the test. I gave up and had to move to D.C. I made a single try to get with a flight school in Frederick, MD, and use their fleet, but their Cherokee was in awful (to my expectations) shape and the young instructor made is clear that he only wanted to build logbook time, not work with a student. After a very expensive and worthless two hours with them, I decided to wait until Mikey's panel was re-built.

The third checkride was cancelled when the remnants of Hurricane Dolly came through New Mexico last week. Then, Mikey's nerves got the best of him (I didn't realize he thought it was a dental appointment. No wonder he always got "sick" just before a checkride.) Paul had to repair two problems within 48 hours of the exam. The checkride was the FOURTH one scheduled but the first one started. Getting the ticket was tough, but the perserverance to actually get to make it to the checkride only endured thanks to Paul and my friends who supported me.

Okay, Doug. Your turn!

Just a thought

He he, I remember going to Arlington last year and hearing all the VFR pilots giving the war stories cus the WX was pretty bad on the Friday...we've all done them in one form or another they go something like "There I was, thought I was gonna die" as they describe death defying flying in oder to scud run their way into the airshow..

I remember listening to this when one of my buddies asked.."So Frank how was your trip?"..."Me...Oh I just filed" as I'm thinking I never have to fly like that ever again...:)

And I never have..Oh there's clouds, bummer.."hello I'd like to file an IFR light plan please"...:)

Frank

Dirty Talk

Got my second instrument ticket in a helicopter awhile back, but that old bird never talked nice to me!