dwranda

Well Known Member
Well after watching numerous videos online and reading the plans instructions I attempted the practice airfoil kit. I was excited that I was able to run a pneumatic line into my basement so I could actually do something with my tools and not freeze to death in the sub 20 degree temps.
My son and I built the practice tool box then I did the airfoil. I'm really not happy with how it came out. I'd say I butchered it, but that may be harsh. The riveting that Aaron did on the tail I bought from him is my standard of how it should look. It is really nice. I am probably just having newbie fright, but I definitely need some instruction. Looks like the closest class to me is in Cincinnati in February. What do they actually build in the sheet metal class? Is it the airfoil I just did?

Mentor

David
Look up the local EAA Chapter and go to a meeting. Ask if anyone would be a Mentor. Probably several will jump at the chance. It's fun to teach. You will learn what you need quickly with "one on one" mentoring.

I did a SportAir Workshop in Frederick, MD last winter. Well worth the time and money. It will help calm a lot of that newbie fright. We built the airfoil kit from Vans.

I did a SportAir Workshop in Frederick, MD last winter. Well worth the time and money. It will help calm a lot of that newbie fright. We built the airfoil kit from Vans.

I was in the same class and second the recommendation. Just make sure you register well in advance because some of us that signed up late ended up having to share tools.

Well after watching numerous videos online and reading the plans instructions I attempted the practice airfoil kit. I was excited that I was able to run a pneumatic line into my basement so I could actually do something with my tools and not freeze to death in the sub 20 degree temps.
My son and I built the practice tool box then I did the airfoil. I'm really not happy with how it came out. I'd say I butchered it, but that may be harsh. The riveting that Aaron did on the tail I bought from him is my standard of how it should look. It is really nice. I am probably just having newbie fright, but I definitely need some instruction. Looks like the closest class to me is in Cincinnati in February. What do they actually build in the sheet metal class? Is it the airfoil I just did?

There are sheet metal classes and RV classes. Not sure how they differ. I did the RV class and it was well worth the effort though I'd already built an airfoil at home. It's a great opportunity to ask stupid questions, since the instructor is someone you'll likely never see again!

Thanks everyone!! I have an email into my closest EAA chapter but not sure how active they are. All I know is I'm not touch any real airplane parts until I'm confident with what I'm doing. Hopefully it won't take long because I'm having a blast with the tools.

I tool the EAA sheet metal class and it made a huge difference in my confidence level to start putting things together. I was seriously wondering how to start and if I could even do it before I took the class.

Definitely take the class

I bought the toolbox and tried putting it together on my own. The quality was, ahem, not something I would want to fly (luckily I did not want a flying toolbox).

I took the Vans RV class a month later (Jack Douek is even more awesome in person that in all the EAA videos I watched).

It was a real confidence boost and taught me how to use the tools. I learned a lot as I went along (I wish my early rivets were as pretty as the ones I'm doing now).

It taught me how to recognize my bad rivets and how to fix them.

Don't worry. It will all come together.

To offer a little motivation, I only built the practice airfoil kit, beat it up, dented it, over/under set rivets etc. Then my emp kit showed up and I went to work. Over all it turned out well. There are a few minor dents from the rivet gun, but nothing serious.

If you have built two of the practice kits you will probably be fine. Arm yourself with knowledge and read about construction as much as you can. I read an awful lot about aircraft building, tools, rivets etc, as well at watch videos and stuff like that.

A little motivation goes a long way.

By the way, you will make mistakes, have to drill out rivets, make smiley faces with the rivets gun etc, have to order new parts etc. Its part of the experience. Just be methodical and do the best you can. Talk to any RV builder and they can all point out mistakes the made on their aircraft. I'm not advocating making mistakes, I'm just saying it happens and its also normal.