dan

Well Known Member
Just got back from a week in Ajijic. Cheap fuel anybody? Mexico regulates the price of fuel at towered airports...currently $2.68 per gallon.

The airspace fee is 70 pesos (less than $7) per landing. Even with the administrative costs and 15% IVA tax on fuel and services, a trip to Guadalajara in an RV still costs about $400.

We spent $356.55, including the week's worth of tiedown at MMGL. We also paid the one-time (per year) $52 multi-entrance authorization that is good for all of 2006.

Can't beat that on the airlines, that's for sure!!! These RVs are fantastic little airplanes.

To anybody who is afraid to fly your airplane to mainland Mexico, I understand the sentiment, but it's absolutely unfounded. This was my 4th trip to Mexico in the RV, and it has been cheap, safe, secure, professional, and to say the least consistent. At towered airports, the fees are regulated and consistent -- no surprises.

What a joy it is to fly along the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez and view miles of untouched countryside, with a smattering of major cities (Hermosillo, Guaymas, Obregon, Los Mochis, Culiacan, Mazatlan, Tepic, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta). And that shade of blue-green you see everywhere in Jalisco is unmistakeable -- fields of blue agave. As the wide open space between them diminishes, and you're left with a sprawling blue-green carpet, you know you must be near Tequila and Amatitan! Volcanic terrain, canyons, rivers, and miles and miles of coastline. I love this trip!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (802 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

mexico

Gee dan, you paint a pretty picture :)

It's nice up here in Western Canada too (just cooler and wetter)
Lorne