LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
For those of you with a 7A who installed the 327 transponder, did you have to cut through the subpanel in order to connect the harness? Naturally, I didn't (I did for the ICOM A210), basing it on the bracket, but tonight while fitting I realize that I probably should have. I couldn't tell for sure because it was only 3 degrees in the hangar and I decided there was probably a warmer way to get the answer.

I cut an opening for harness. Otherwise you won't be able to connect coax, the bend is too tight. I believe my fuse is the same as yours Bob. You do not need to cut full perimeter, just project your harness penetrations and make sure your connector fits in.

Bob I cut mine out for the GTX327 the same as for the SL30. I supported the bottom of the SL30 at the subpanel with an angle, then supported the GTX327 by clamping it to the SL30 with two pieces of .063 AL and a threaded rod on each side to do the clamping.

Wish I had a photo handy. If I remember correctly, this appears in another thread with a photo... I'll see if I can find it. Try searching "radio mount" and you will find several threads with photo's and suggestions.

Larry

Last edited:
Hey Larry! Great to hear from you. I should've made the cut also (Just wrote about it here). I've got to figure out now whether the angle I placed below the cutout for the A210 is going to interfere with where I need to make a cut for the 327 harness and antenna. But what you described is pretty much how I approached binding the two brackets.

Shouldn't you be flying now, fella?:D

Bob,

I've got a bunch of pictures showing how I mounted my radio stack through the subpanel, but I've not been able to post them here. Send me your email address and I'll post them to you...

For those of you with a 7A who installed the 327 transponder, did you have to cut through the subpanel in order to connect the harness? Naturally, I didn't (I did for the ICOM A210), basing it on the bracket, but tonight while fitting I realize that I probably should have. I couldn't tell for sure because it was only 3 degrees in the hangar and I decided there was probably a warmer way to get the answer.

Fred, I'd like to see them too!

Since I'm at that stage also. I'll PM you my email address. I'd appreciate it and thanks.

Bob,

I had the same problem with my G320A transponder.

Check out this picture I took before enlarging the cutout in my subpanel:

Note the holes I drilled in the bottom of the radio tray so I could access the screws that hold the tray in place. The screws that go through the support strap are in dimpled holes so the radio and transponder slide right in.

Note the holes I drilled in the bottom of the radio tray so I could access the screws that hold the tray in place. The screws that go through the support strap are in dimpled holes so the radio and transponder slide right in.

I did the same thing.

(Piggybacking). I can't use the right angle shell because the harness is Stein built and screwing with a harness Stein built is like fixing up the colors on the Mona Lisa with a Sharpie.

My email is [email protected]