Craig23

Well Known Member
I'm planning my VFR panel, and wondered what would be the advantage to using the GTX-327 transponder over the GTX-320A. I don't know much about either unit yet, so I would love to hear from those of you who know the differences between the two.

Thanks,

VFR button
It can be setup with the GPS to automatically turn itself on and off based on groundspeed.

Craig,

I'm VFR only and went with the 320A. Since I'm based at a small, uncontrolled field, the thing is only turned off of Alt when doing some formation work or when switching codes. (I was trained to put it on standby, switch the code, and then move it back to Alt to avoid passing through 7700 or some such code.)

The 327 is nice but for VFR flying I don't really see the advantage.

Save the money and use it for some other fun toy.

Just my $.02 worth.

I found a factory refurb with 1 yr warranty 320A for $700, so pretty much cured my want of the extra goodies. Also, most of my flying is vfr, so I don't have to switch codes very often.

Another thing is the tray for a 320A and 327 is exactly the same, so I will go ahead and wire it for a 327 and tie wrap the unused wire. Then later if I want to get a 327 it is simple plug and play.

Get what you want, though, don't want to have those "I wish I had" feelings when your done.