Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
Question for you Garmin transponder gurus:

Hooked up my Avmap gps to the GTX-327 input, and configured it for GPS. There does not seem to be any selection for the type of gps data stream. The Avmap outputs an NMEA stream. Does the GTX-327 handle NMEA? (or accepts only aviation stream).

Looking to have the Avmap gps stream turn the transponder from STBY to ON, and vice versa. Thanks.

GTX-327 doesn't see NMEA

I ran into the same problem trying to get my Lowrance 600C to talk to my GTX-327. It turns out that the Garmin doesn't recognize NMEA.

I had thought that the auto active function of the Garmin wouldn't work because of this. Not so. The unit also uses the change in pressure, not just groundspeed, to activate it. What will NOT work is the function that puts the unit back to stand by when you land. You'll have to manually do this. It can't use pressure delta to do this because pressure doesn't change in level flight OR on the ground roll out. Therefore, if pressure delta was used, the unit would go to stand by in level flight. This is the situation where a GPS groundspeed input is useful.

This is fine for me. I've been putting my transponder on stand by using my finger for years so I don't mind continuing it in my RV.

Thanks for the quick replies. Just figured I could have another whizz bang feature going.... guess not. Fingers will do the walking for turning it off.

As for the Avmap, it only support NMEA, besides, I'm also using this same output to go to the Dynon. Maybe the next version of GTX-327 firmware will support other formats than Aviation Data...