wjnmd

Well Known Member
I'm trying to decide where to install my Garmin GTX 23 in my -7A with a G3X dual screen, GTN 650 and VP-X Pro. I'm running out of real estate behind the subpanel to install the mounting tray such that the unit can be slid out of the mounting tray for maintenance. I thought of mounting it vertically behind either the pilot or passenger seat or possibly behind the baggage compartment on one of Van's AHRS trays.

I'm looking for other ideas if available. Pictures would be helpful also.

Bill - I have a similar set up with Dual G3Xs and a VP-X and struggled with the same question. My goal was to get as much of the avionics as possible between the main panel and the sub panel as possible. I figured that once flying, there really won't be much reason to mess with the remote transponder and decided to mount it forward in a less accessable location.

Below is a pic of what I finally went with. I have some 063 angle going across the forward ribs. I made an AL platform that I mounted the GTX23 to. I hinged the platform to the forward AL angle. Now all I have to do to slide the GTX23 into place is to remove the two screws that attach the angle to the ribs.... the platform hinges down to just above the rudder pedals and there is room to slide the GTX 23 into place.

There may be a more elequant solution out there, but this appears to work pretty well for me.

Good Luck,
Jason

34t7os4.jpg

Thanks, Jason

I like the idea of a drop down panel. I'm doing that with my ADAHRS. Also, I have a slider so the sub panel configuration is different but I like your ideas.

Thanks, Jason

I like the idea of a drop down panel. I'm doing that with my ADAHRS. Also, I have a slider so the sub panel configuration is different but I like your ideas.

The ahrs has different stability requirements than a basic radio. It is probability not a good idea to mount it on a hinge in any way.
Just read the top of page 4-7 (revision E) of the G3X installation manual -GSU73. A hinge and pin just can't be stiff enough to comply with the mounting recomendations.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback, Scott. I plan to have it screwed to the panel flange opposite the hinge. Does this sound acceptable? It would only be dropped down for access as necessary.

I agree with Scott - I would be nervous about mounting an AHRS with a hinge supporting any portion of the mount- the hinge will always have some play (however minor) that could get vibratory. Not saying it won't work, but I look at the AHRS mount as the foundation of the airplane's Nav base, and it should be rigidly connected to the airframe.

Paul

I agree with Scott and Paul. The GSU73 on the G3X system needs for have a solid mount. It will save you from inconsistencies.

Actually, I was laying in bed last night mulling this over realizing that a hinge has way too much rattle to it no matter how well I secure the other end. Thanks to all who replied.