grayforge

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Just checking to see if this is normal:

My GTX 23 slides smoothly into its rack. When I swing the locking lever to the locked position, it moves easily, then all of a sudden requires a lot more force to get the last 1/2" of movement to the fully locked position and to screw the locking screw down.

I checked and it's not any of the plugs or screws in the rear plate. In fact, if I unfasten the rear plate and push the transponder into the rack and lock it, then try to pull the rear plate flush with the end of the rack, it stops with about 1/16" of gap.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is normal and that last 1/2" of significantly more resistance is just hauling everything together extra tightly, but just wanted to be sure.

Photos below.

Thanks!
Russ

This is the point where the lever requires significantly more pressure to close.
DSC01161.JPG

Gap between rear plate and rack when transponder is first installed and locked, then the rear plate is attached.
DSC01117.JPG

I don't know the details of how this works but one thing I would check is that you don't have any bent pins on the mating connectors. I've seen similar things with other blind mating connectors.

I think mine does the same thing, I will check when back home and post if you don't have an answer by then. In SLC today, beautiful weather. Happy new Dr. in the family!

Steve at Garmin will be checking on one too. Good to have a couple data points!

I do worry a little that there might be a lot of pressure on those 2 little #4 screws.

Thanks,
Russ

Russ, I was going to chime in that I believe mine acted that way too, but I'm not sure if it did to the degree that you're talking about. Best to hear from Steve on that one I think.

Mine was the same, and after double-checking there wasn't anything binding, I just pushed harder. Was a challenge to get the screw in, but it all seems to work (electrically - not flying yet).

==dave==

On Steve's request, I removed both the D-Sub and BNC connector and found the actuation just as stiff for the last 1/4 of lever throw as before. So it's not related to any of the connectors.

The next step may be to swap my rack and backplate out with another.