ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have read the details on using insulating washers when mounting the jacks to the mounting plate. This is for isolation of grounding. It does NOT make sense when the threaded shaft of the jack goes thru your mounting (plate,panel,custom plate),the threads are going to touch the metal of the hole so what good are the plain fiber washers good for? If we are isolating the ground source wouldnt there be a collar on the washer thus insulating the jack (threaded ) shaft from the metal mounting plate.? I'll grab your answers back around 7pm PDT. thanks guys.

Ron in Oregon

Ron,

The washers have a shoulder on them that separates the jack from the mounting surface. You end up drilling the hole larger to make room for the shoulder on the washer.

Hope that helps.

Keith

^ What he said. The washer has a very small raised shoulder that when pressed into the hole prevents the jack from touching the panel.

Chris

Just to be clear each jack has a flat insulating washer on one side of the panel and a shoulder insulating washer on the other side. Use two shoulder washers for thick panels.

Thanks Keith,Chris and Bob.

Just got computer line back up after the remnants on hurricane ANNA that ran past the Hawaiian islands last week finally made its way along the upper winds to the Northwest this afternoon. Gusts as high as 87 MPH hit the central coast of Oregon and a gust of 99 MPH hit Mt. Hood at the 7000" level. Lots of power out in the Portland area and lots of trees uprooted. Things have calmed down. Now on the radio jacks. Thanks for getting back to me. I went through the GTR 200 Garmin manual again to today and it seems they left out the those washers but did say not to let grounding take place at the jack. I'll have to tell the avionics store about those washers. What they sold me and what i need are surely different. Are these washers something you can buy at say Radio Shack? Maybe you have another source suggestion? I was wondering if you all had a schematic for hooking up the GTR 200 to just two sets of stereo jacks in a RV9A ? Although theres other types of radios matched to work with the GTR200 in the Garmin manual it appears that if I disregard the the other equipment in appendix page prints it may work. When I called several shops/avionics stores they didn't understand the stereo hook up or the wiring diagram for Tip Ring,Shelve, or headset right and left and Lo. Nobody seemed to know about" Lo " hookup. Can you of you draw me a print from jacks to radio. I have 22 awg 4 wire sheilded that i was going to use.

I have dual Dynon Skyviews. It says in the Garmin manual, to receive the RS232 data feed from the Dynon GPS one needs to feed in & out ( two) pins. A out and a in pin. Its so the Garmin 200 would send the data of frequency (AIRPORT CODE KSLE and frequency#s to the Dynon display after it integrates the GPS DATA). Has anybody had a problem between the two manufacturers? It appears I'll have to set the Dynon to a 9600 baud rate for the info to flow. Does that so about right guys?

After yard clean up in the morning Ill be back on in the afternoon to check this post.

Thanks guys.
Ron in Oregon

Thanks Keith,Chris and Bob.

Just got computer line back up after the remnants on hurricane ANNA that ran past the Hawaiian islands last week finally made its way along the upper winds to the Northwest this afternoon. Gusts as high as 87 MPH hit the central coast of Oregon and a gust of 99 MPH hit Mt. Hood at the 7000" level. Lots of power out in the Portland area and lots of trees uprooted. Things have calmed down.
Now on the radio jacks. Thanks for getting back to me. I went through the GTR 200 Garmin manual again to today and it seems they left out the those washers but did say not to let grounding take place at the jack. I'll have to tell the avionics store about those washers. What they sold me and what i need are surely different. Are these washers something you can buy at say Radio Shack? Maybe you have another source suggestion? I was wondering if you all had a schematic for hooking up the GTR 200 to just two sets of stereo jacks in a RV9A ? Although theres other types of radios matched to work with the GTR200 in the Garmin manual it appears that if I disregard the the other equipment in appendix page prints it may work. When I called several shops/avionics stores they didn't understand the stereo hook up or the wiring diagram for Tip Ring,Shelve, or headset right and left and Lo. Nobody seemed to know about" Lo " hookup. Can one of you draw me a print from jacks to radio pins. I have 22 awg 4 wire shielded that i was going to use.

I have dual Dynon Skyviews. It says in the Garmin manual, to receive the RS232 data feed from the Dynon GPS one needs to feed in & out ( two) pins. A out and a in pin. Its so the Garmin 200 would send the data of frequency (AIRPORT CODE KSLE and frequency#s to the Dynon display after it integrates the GPS DATA). Has anybody had a problem between the two manufacturers? It appears I'll have to set the Dynon to a 9600 baud rate for the info to flow. Does that sound about right guys?

After yard clean up in the morning Ill be back on in the afternoon to check this post.

Thanks guys.
Ron in Oregon

GTR 200 Headset Wiring

I went through the GTR 200 Garmin manual again to today and it seems they left out the those washers but did say not to let grounding take place at the jack. I'll have to tell the avionics store about those washers. What they sold me and what i need are surely different. Are these washers something you can buy at say Radio Shack? Maybe you have another source suggestion?

I was wondering if you all had a schematic for hooking up the GTR 200 to just two sets of stereo jacks in a RV9A ? Although theres other types of radios matched to work with the GTR200 in the Garmin manual it appears that if I disregard the the other equipment in appendix page prints it may work. When I called several shops/avionics stores they didn't understand the stereo hook up or the wiring diagram for Tip Ring,Shelve, or headset right and left and Lo. Nobody seemed to know about" Lo " hookup. Can one of you draw me a print from jacks to radio pins. I have 22 awg 4 wire shielded that i was going to use.

I have dual Dynon Skyviews. It says in the Garmin manual, to receive the RS232 data feed from the Dynon GPS one needs to feed in & out ( two) pins. A out and a in pin. Its so the Garmin 200 would send the data of frequency (AIRPORT CODE KSLE and frequency#s to the Dynon display after it integrates the GPS DATA). Has anybody had a problem between the two manufacturers? It appears I'll have to set the Dynon to a 9600 baud rate for the info to flow. Does that sound about right guys?

Thanks guys.
Ron in Oregon

Hello Ron,

The insulated washers that Keith provided a link to are used most often to prevent the headset jacks from grounding to a metal panel.

Your RV-9A installation is very common. There are both pilot and copilot MIC and stereo Headset jacks and PTT switches on each side.

The drawing on page D-3 of the Rev. E GTR 200 Installation Manual is the best fit for your installation. Just wire up the pilot/copilot jacks as shown. Please note that page D-1 has some nice pictures of the stereo headset jack making it easy to understand the tip, ring, and sleeve connections to those jacks.

As explained in the Appendix B of this manual, the serial interface protocol used by remote devices operates at 9600 baud.

Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Keith, I'll order some.

Steve thanks for responding. I did pull up the info on page D-1. Its a bit confusing. Help me figure this out. In the pictorial (jack headset MIC ) Shown is Tip (*PTT) Now this asterisk (*) next to PTT If i'm right here shows up in NOTES 11 & 13 which in actual words doesn't used the LETTERS "PTT" in either notes. (KIS) This is the experimental group and we are lucky to build ONE PLANE in our lifetime. So the radio thing is a one time thing too! (KIS) .
Now when you go to page D-3 ,fig D-3 look down near the bottom of the pin configuration of 2 & 22. Its labeled *DISC1 *DISC@ respectively. If one follows the lines to the right it shows a Momentary contact push switch (from illustration on page D-1 figure D-1) but wait theres a note #8 at the ground symbol. Note "8" is (The function of (*)DISC1 & (*)DISC2 are configurable. (*) Denotes an Active low signal. So at this point of a builder do I assume you are talking about a PTT (Push To Talk Bottom) as in a stick grip? ? ? ? Pilot & co pilot switches. Again " Active Low Signal " appears and to me as a builder clueless. (sorry to admit) but I'am trying to visualize these notes that you engineers have written about.
So lets go to Page D-3 again Pin 15 out. This is very clearly written. (See Note 7) (ITS a NICE "KIS") with COPILOT (PUSH TO TALK) and that a hand MIC, if it would be used. This is good!

I could just imagine the amount of engineering pages to a radio like this. But sometimes you have to bring somebody from the front counter to put it in layman's terms what needs to be conveyed.

I'm asking if you folks at Garmin can add another page in Appendix D- JUST DEPICTING A RV 2 PLACE CONFIGURATION for the connections of the Stereo headset & Mic jacks then to the pin #'s on the P2001 plug. Connections from both PUSH TO TALK (PTT) grip switches then to the pin #'s on the P2001 plug. Connections from a remote stereo music input jack then to the pin #'s on the P2001 plug. Connections from both R-232( in )data and R-232 (out) data of Garmin and other display units. Connections to power pins in Pos and & Neg as well a be able to attach a panel light dimmer circuit to the GTR 200. To include using the collar washers (That should be included in the Garmin radio package (because now I have to WAIT for a package from SPRUCE plus shipping with the washers.) just another thing a builder doesn't know about until he gets to the problem.

Steve, I went into detail only because when 5 builders have different opinions on your schematics there are ?s and may get their problems corrected after the build project is complete.

Now on the Four Place jack wiring of the RV 10 owners they can write their own letter to you.
I'm very appreciative of your acknowledgement to your company Garmin,in that you would take the time out to talk to me about the Garmin issues that builders have and I love that! Thats what I call GOING OVER AND BEYOND FOR THE CUSTOMER. I sold my NEW unused Icom A 210 to purchase the GTR 200. :)

Thanks to Doug Reeves for this site to express our builder needs.

Thanks Steve.

( KIS ) Kind Intuitive Simple.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

OH still don't know what " Active Low Signal " means, should I know?

Hi Ron,

If you don't mind, please email us at [email protected] and we can quickly answer all your questions by using simple wiring examples cut-and-pasted from the installation manual.

You are right that this website is a great resource, but it is pretty frustrating trying to use it for customer support since every image we share has to be uploaded to a hosting site and we can't quickly copy and paste images into our postings here like we can, and always do, with our email responses.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve that would be great. Been in contact with EAA chapter members and a design for the wiring schematics on RV two place series would be very welcome. Again appreciate your help.

I'll be in contact.
Thanks
Ron in Oregon RV9A

Hi Ron,

Do you have a copy of the aeroelectric connection from Bob Nuckolls? That would also be helpfull...BTW, we also have the fiber washers for sale as well (& cheaper than the other place as too)!

Cheers,
Stein

Hello Stein,

Good to hear from you. I do have the book and didn't think to look there as I was trying to follow the manufactures notes out of the radio contents package. Yes Ill compare the two to grasp the knowledge. Probably is simple after the concept is depicted in a flow chart. At least thats how our brains work,,,, I guess,,,,,,. OK maybe I'am missing a bit in just mine. I'll call tomorrow on the washers.

Thanks
Ron in Oregon