helozoomie

I'm New Here
Does anyone know what format the GTN650 transmits NMEA data on the serial bus? I want to hook to my ELT, and it only accepts two formats on a serial bus.

In all likelihood its 0183 v3.x. I don't recall them doing any other NMEA output formats from other manufactured devices.

Does anyone know what format the GTN650 transmits NMEA data on the serial bus? I want to hook to my ELT, and it only accepts two formats on a serial bus.

I'm not aware of any Garmin certified navigators that output NMEA data. Perhaps if you can list the other format your ELT accepts we can confirm whether or not it is supported?

- Matt

so..

Does that mean GTN 650 cannot provide GPS signal to the ELT (AK-451)? Wondering how others are providing a GPS signal to their ELTs...

Does that mean GTN 650 cannot provide GPS signal to the ELT (AK-451)?

Not a problem... the installation manual for your AK-451 ELT (section 3.4.10.2) states that that unit is compatible with the standard "Aviation" RS-232 format, which - although it is not the same as NMEA 0183 - is indeed supported by most commonly encountered Garmin certified navigators including the GTN series.

- Matt