Weasel

Well Known Member
When you load an approach that has a published hold you are asked if you want to fly the hold. If you select NO, what is the procedure to re-initiate the hold?

ooooh, that's a good question. I don't think that's in the manual. I'd be curious to know the answer as well. Surely we don't have to reload the approach??

I do not have a GTN series. On the 400 series, I don't know how to do this without re-entering the procedure IF you want the Garmin to guide you around the hold. If you are willing to hand fly the hold (or 'hand fly' your autopilot in heading mode) then set the OBS/HSI course to the holding leg course (inbound to the fix) and, prior to the holding fix, push the OBS button on the Garmin to suspend sequencing. Hand fly the hold entry and hold. When ready to proceed inbound, and just prior to the fix, push OBS on the Garmin and it will start sequencing again, providing course guidance for the approach.

Pretty sure the only way to get it back in there is to reload the approach. There is no way that I know of to add complex items (like holds, procedure turns, altitude legs, etc) individually to the flight plan manually.

What I do is go ahead and tell it to keep the hold and then either delete it from the flight plan when I am sure I won't be using it or just select the next leg after getting established on the next course.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the only way to get it back in there is to reload the approach. There is no way that I know of to add complex items (like holds, procedure turns, altitude legs, etc) individually to the flight plan manually.

What I do is go ahead and tell it to keep the hold and then either delete it from the flight plan when I am sure I won't be using it or just select the next leg after getting established on the next course.

Thanks. I will probably start doing it this way. Sortof a pain when given hold instructions after it is deleted. Garmin should consider updating the firmware to allow this and give us hold options at any fix not just published holds.

Last edited:
In some cases hands are tied by regulations and functional specs handed down by the FAA.

This may or may not be the case here I don't know...

Last edited:
With the G1000, I believe you can do it by making it a Direct-To waypoint and going into OBS mode which will stop auto squencing. Then when you're ready to resume you toggle out of OBS mode and fly the original approach and/or flight plan.

The 650 may allow you to do it the same way.