TX7A

Well Known Member
Does anyone know for sure if the new Garmin GTN's (specifically the 650) have ARINC 429 outputs?

Thanks

While I do not know 100% if they do, I don't think it would be possible for them to not have the 429 interface.

the reason I ask...

I sent this email to tech support at Dynon:
I have the following Dynon equipment: D100, D120, HS34
Would the new Garmin GTN series (specifically the GTN 650) function with my
Dynon equipment the same as a GNS430w?
(I'm aware the harness & pinouts are different.)
I've been planning around the 430W but may switch to GTN650 if there aren't any "gotcha's".

I got this reply:
"It should be compatible but we have not had a Customer verify that it actually does work with the Dynon products.

Does it have ARINC 429 outputs?"

I would have thought that Dynon would know the answer.?? :confused:
And I agree with you, Brian. Not having 429 would cause some issues for sure.
On the Garmin site, if you dig for it, you'll find the specs for the 430w state ARINC 429 interface. I can't find such info for the GTN's.

I would just like to see it "officially" somewhere. :)

Why would you think Dynon must know this answer? Dynon has said many times they don't even have a 430 to play with. (that may have changed, I dunno)

Garmin does not necessarily share much info with the other makers of the experimental EFIS units. I think most of them have figured out how to communicate with the Garmin panel mounts by trial and error. Sure some of it follows the 429 spec but not all of it.

Remember Garmin is now in direct competition with the experimental EFIS makers. I doubt much hand holding and intimate communication is going on between them.....

Dynon relies heavily on their beta testers and end users when the integration between them and third parties goes beyond the public published standards.

Hi Sam,

Here's my answer (although I wouldnt' count it as the official one)..so take it for what it's worth.

YES - It has 2 ports with the following configuration options for said ports: ARINC-429 non GAMA, GAMA 1/2/3/4/5/6 and also has two input ports as well.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Yes it has 2 429 air data ports plus a third 429 port (on a different connector) for nav data. Same as the 430.

One nice new change is that there is one nav/glideslope antenna input whereas the 430 has these split as two inputs. No need for an external splitter.

Brian,
FYI, Dynon owns a 430W and an SL-30, and we've had them for years. We have a variety of handheld GPS devices as well. We didn't develop the ARINC-429 without having a 430 to develop against, one of the requirements for the HS-34 project was that we buy a 430 (back in 2006 or so).

We don't have a GTN however, so until someone (which may be us someday) actually tries it, we aren't going to promise that it works. It clearly has ARINC-429, but there is always the chance that they have done something funny.

Good to know.

While I have seen post from Dynon in the past stating they did not have a 430, I have not seen any recently that said you did. Sorry for the confusion. Glad I put that disclaimer at the end of my earlier statement ;)

I will gladly take my serving of crow now. :eek:

Mr. dynonsupport,

I have just recently been needing to go ahead & get my avionics. I have the D100, D120 & HS34 & planned all along for the 430w. Then along came the GTN. I had reservations about the GTN as it was just being introduced so I ordered a 430w. A few days later my supplier called & said that 430 displays were back ordered and would be a couple of months to get one. (made in Japan & they have lots of problems over there now) Nonetheless, I said okay.
Since then, I have stewed over the wisdom of my decision. Then I read in Sport Aviation that Garmin had supplies of GTN's. That set off my queries about the ARINC 429.
At some point down the road, I'll be selling my plane. I figured that the newer equipment would help that cause. I may also upgrade to the Skyview at some point. I decided to bite the bullet and see if I could switch to the GTN650. I was able to, plus about $2K (which included extensive wire harness changes)
All that to say that I'll find out if the GTN & the Dynon "like" each other. I'm betting they will. And, I'm pretty sure someone will find out before me. :D

Marc:
Thanks for your input. And the elimination of the splitter is worth at least a 100 bucks & some hastle! :)

Last edited:
Mr. dynonsupport,

I have just recently been needing to go ahead & get my avionics. I have the D100, D120 & HS34 & planned all along for the 430w. The along came the GTN. I had reservations about the GTN as it was just being introduced so I ordered a 430w. A few days later my supplier called & said that 430 displays were back ordered and would be a couple of months to get one. (made in Japan & they have lots of problems over there now) Nonetheless, I said okay.
Since then, I have stewed over the wisdom of my decision. Then I read in Sport Aviation that Garmin had supplies of GTN's. That set off my queries about the ARINC 429.
At some point down the road, I'll be selling my plane. I figured that the newer equipment would help that cause. I may also upgrade to the Skyview at some point. I decided to bite the bullet and see if I could switch to the GTN650. I was able to, plus about $2K (which included extensive wire harness changes)
All that to say that I'll find out if the GTN & the Dynon "like" each other. I'm betting they will. And, I'm pretty sure someone will find out before me. :D

Marc:
Thanks for your input. And the elimination of the splitter is worth at least a 100 bucks & some hastle! :)

Sam,

What transponder are you going to use?

Thanks!

Yes it has 2 429 air data ports plus a third 429 port (on a different connector) for nav data. Same as the 430.

One nice new change is that there is one nav/glideslope antenna input whereas the 430 has these split as two inputs. No need for an external splitter.

If I'm reading this correctly, I only need one antenna for the NAV and GS, correct? I just installed a Bob Archer antenna in anticipation of my panel upgrade and I'm trying to figure out how to configure my glideslope antenna.

If I'm reading this correctly, I only need one antenna for the NAV and GS, correct? I just installed a Bob Archer antenna in anticipation of my panel upgrade and I'm trying to figure out how to configure my glideslope antenna.

Bill

I'm using the Archer also. It does both NAV & GS. The 430 & others required a splitter (diplexar)
(From what Marc is saying, looks like the GTN does that internally.)

Bill

I'm using the Archer also. It does both NAV & GS. The 430 & others required a splitter (diplexar)
(From what Marc is saying, looks like the GTN does that internally.)

That is correct. The GTN box (like all the UPSat boxes before) have the splitter internal, so no external splitter needed. You can use an Archer or a Catwhisker or AAE or whatever nav antenna!

Cheers,
Stein