CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I just ran into an issue with my GTN following an update and thought I would post the issue so others are aware and not caught up with the problem. Garmin appears to be aware of the issue but has not published anything about the issue. Additionally, you will NOT get any error messages during the process. So unless you are aware of the issue, you may be surprised when you go to do your monthly update at the airport.

Garmin released SB 1466 which provides an upgrade to the GTN GPS/Navigator series to Version 5.13 which adds a number of new features. It also apparently uses slightly different database files. When you log onto FlyGarmin to update your database, you are prompted to select your software version, such as:

2014-12-23_12-18-51_zps4d7af27b.png

However, aif you select the version 5.11 or later there is a good chance your GTN will not see an up to date Obstacle database when you perform the data update on the GTN.

The problem appears to be related to the version of the Garmin Communicator that is installed. Even though it may show its up to date and working during the data download, if it shows a version older than 4.2 it will not download the new database.

2014-12-23_12-16-46_zps5e479b0a.png

So to get this to work, you need to force an upgrade to version 4.2, which you can do here: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html

1b790b78-6c04-4fb3-b585-fe0e2e5f650b_zps9a74e789.png

At that point you can do another database download to your Garmin card and it will be properly recognized.

Last edited: