Sticky1

Well Known Member
I am ready to purchase an efis. Does anyone have any feeling for the new HX series?? If not, What other Efi might be a better choice for IFR?

The last I heard, the HX is getting close to shipping, but that is what you hear from everyone. What I am pretty sure of is that GRT won't ship until it is ready, based on their reputation (and my experience with them). A lot of folks have bought the HS in the meantime (I am REALLY happy with mine!), and that allows them to bolt in an HX later with plug-and-play compatability for the hole and wiring.

If you are close to flying, try an HS - if not, I bet the HX will be out before you need it!

Paul

Hummmm

I have been flying the bird shown for over a year now. I have been re-doing the dash. Last in...A pilot Efis...I am ready to go just don't know what I want. GRT looks good, but......

I have been flying the bird shown for over a year now. I have been re-doing the dash. Last in...A pilot Efis...I am ready to go just don't know what I want. GRT looks good, but......

It looks good and as it is from GRT it is good.
This is a statement coming from a competitor (me).
You can't go wrong.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Nice ...

It looks good and as it is from GRT it is good.
This is a statement coming from a competitor (me).
You can't go wrong.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

That is rather nice of you Rainier!!!

Too often, when someone asks a question about a particular item, someone chimes in about something (or a competing product) the person did NOT ask about. So to have a competitor say something nice like tat says a lot about them and a WHOLE LOT MORE about you as a person!

Good on ya!

James

Last edited:
No, I'm not out to earn brownie points.
The mind was obviously made up to buy a GTR EFIS. Nothing wrong with that.
A question was asked and I felt I could give and answer that means at least something.
That's all.

There is nothing wrong with a competitor giving support to another competitor if this is justified. We are not enemies you know (at least that is what I like to think).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

That is rather nice of you Rainier!!!

Too often, when someone asks a question about a particular item, someone chimes in about something (or a competing product) the person did NOT ask about. So to have a competitor say something nice like tat says a lot about them and a WHOLE LOT MORE about you as a person!

Good on ya!

James

Well ....not so fast......

No, I'm not out to earn brownie points.
The mind was obviously made up to buy a GTR EFIS. Nothing wrong with that.
A question was asked and I felt I could give and answer that means at least something.
That's all.

There is nothing wrong with a competitor giving support to another competitor if this is justified. We are not enemies you know (at least that is what I like to think).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Rainier,

You are a true gentleman. As stated not many would voice their opinions in such a positive way. One reason why I have always valued your opinions.

Unfortunatly my mind is not made up. I have been L@@King for a while now and I am even more confused than ever. All the efi have things I like, but none have all I like. I am ready to purchase however, once again..???????:confused:

Rainier,

You are a true gentleman. As stated not many would voice their opinions in such a positive way. One reason why I have always valued your opinions.

Unfortunatly my mind is not made up. I have been L@@King for a while now and I am even more confused than ever. All the efi have things I like, but none have all I like. I am ready to purchase however, once again..???????:confused:

Everything I have heard recently about GRT is good.

That said, if you want to buy now but no one has everything you want right now, you might want to factor in modularity and upgrade capabilities.

The MGL unit is designed from the outset to be upgradeable, and they have some really nice add-on products like an SL-30 compatible radio at a very good price.

I have a Dynon FlightDek D-180 which I like a lot - but I am very happy about their announcement that the next generation will offer a guaranteed trade-in value and will be plug-compatible with the current generation. That means if I want to upgrade to the HITS and moving map, I know I can do so without re-wiring.

One final consideration for any unit is time to install: It is quite a project to wire it all in. If you are like me working only a few days a month on it, that means that if you pick your VENDOR and then order just the wiring harness now (cheap, from Stein) and start working on it today it may still be several months before you are ready to fly with it. That might be enough time for your vendor, or for that matter EVERYONE, to launch their next generation.

They are pretty much all orders of magnitude better than steam gages, so no matter which you pick I suspect you will enjoy it.

Good luck!

Ok so here you go.......

Everything I have heard recently about GRT is good.

That said, if you want to buy now but no one has everything you want right now, you might want to factor in modularity and upgrade capabilities.

The MGL unit is designed from the outset to be upgradeable, and they have some really nice add-on products like an SL-30 compatible radio at a very good price.

I have a Dynon FlightDek D-180 which I like a lot - but I am very happy about their announcement that the next generation will offer a guaranteed trade-in value and will be plug-compatible with the current generation. That means if I want to upgrade to the HITS and moving map, I know I can do so without re-wiring.

One final consideration for any unit is time to install: It is quite a project to wire it all in. If you are like me working only a few days a month on it, that means that if you pick your VENDOR and then order just the wiring harness now (cheap, from Stein) and start working on it today it may still be several months before you are ready to fly with it. That might be enough time for your vendor, or for that matter EVERYONE, to launch their next generation.

They are pretty much all orders of magnitude better than steam gages, so no matter which you pick I suspect you will enjoy it.

Good luck!

Ok so here you go........

From the center to the right side is done. I am L@@king to re-do the left panel. Don't need an SL-30;). I like the idea of being able to design your own screens as with the MGL. I also like the vision of the GRT-HX. I also like the ideas of Vertical Power. I also want expandable Inputs and outputs that I can map to screens that I design. Time to install is not a problem since I know the boss very well and she lets me do what I want!!. Wiring is not an issue either. I also want a big wet kiss from Sandra Bullock.....but I guess it just isn't gonna happen.........

Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone considering an upgrade to a panel like this needs to take a LOT more into account than what they get as far as general marketing info from EFIS mfgrs. Not knocking anyone, but same goes for other people using and EFIS. Unless their plane is near to or similarly equipped as this one is, it would be dubious to comment on applicability of various units. Make no mistake, this is a serious panel with some serious equipment already installed in it. Making it all work together should be a major consideration. Some equipment will work better doing this than others.

Anyway, taking things into account like the dual GNS's, the high end MVP engine monitor, the already installed AFS AOA, autopilot, etc... all mean there are a lot of variables here. Add to that a good HSI that is already installed and it means choices should be made carefully...especially on a high end plane like the Seawinds. They are complex planes compared to our RV's, and there are a lot of considerations to take into account.

I'm sorry I didn't add to much other than to muddy up the water a little bit, but I didn't want people to jump to conclusions or decisions without taking into account the many other variables that exist with this specific type of installation.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks

Ok so you all are now most likely wondering what I am doing here. Well truth be told the forum has more than a wealth of knowledge that spans the flying community. Much of the info contained in this forum can be translated to other planes. Oh, and I almost forgot...the people here are not a-holes that think they know all and offer smart aaa opinions like other forums. That being said, thanks Stine for you observations. Intergration is very important indeed. I am planning on selling the HSI since the efi will have the same....your ideas? I am planning on connecting the 530 to the pilot efis and the 430 to the copilot efis with a swap switch. Tis is important on the pilots with copilot if able. One of the things I really want is the ability to have inputs and outputs and map them to the screen. I am in the process of fine tuning the cowling so I have been checking the pressure differential across the inlet and exhaust with a 3 foot manometer...what a pain. Inputs to map and store this info would be nice. I would like to push a button on the efi screen, goto a page for switching, push another button and have the cowl flap goto 40%.....or the heat go to 72*. I can design the interfaces....give me the I/O. I want to add three fire sensors and map them to the efi screen......Well you get the idea. So I ask, which Efi? :confused:

Oh and if anyone here knows Sandra....

Last edited: