gerrychuck

Well Known Member
I've been looking at an aircraft with a GRT Sport EFIS; trying to decipher the differences in capability between the Sport and the new SX version, aside from synthetic vision. Any information appreciated.

Well, current model is called Sport SX and I'd treat it as equal even though there may be slight differences. SX can have high speed CPU (required for synthetic vision) but doesn't have to have it so you have to verify when buying. Older Sports can be either low resolution or high resolution but neither capable of SV without upgrade. They also have vertical commands "built in" whereas that's an option on SX.

even though it may sound confusing, it's easier than it sounds. There are four possible models -- Sport WS (low res), Sport HS (older model with high res screen), Sport SX (high res current model), and Sport SX SV (high res, syn vis, high speed CPU). Don't be turned off by older models - at right price they can be smartest purchase.

Yes, that's a WS model.. I used to have that one in my plane and it worked flawlessly. I upgraded it later to SX SV, and the higher speed CPU was really neat. You can upgrade that one for $800 (hardware) and another $600 (SV software). The software part is optional (ie not absolutely required, in case you don't need SV)... but hardware upgrade is a nice one to do anyways.

SHS Vs SSX(SV)

I originally installed dual SHS units and was very impressed, but this past winter, I upgraded one of the units to SSX-SV. WOW, what a HUGE difference it makes in situational awareness!! I think the biggest single advantage with the SV is being able to see the runway 10 miles in front of you. This is extremely helpful in hazy conditions or where you are not familiar with the area. As you get closer, you can actually see the runway aspect as you approach the airport. Lined up on final, the runway presents as though you are looking out the window. Just point the flight path predictor at the end of the runway and you've got the approach path made, which is really helpful at night.

I upgraded one of the units to SSX-SV......I think the biggest single advantage with the SV is being able to see the runway 10 miles in front of you.

You get runway depiction with the basic Sport SX, no SV required.

Don't forget SAP

Plus, if you activate the Synthetic Approach, you get a Highway in the Sky glide path to the runway (any runway - even grass strips).