NYTOM

Well Known Member
Just getting into wiring up my Sport SX and downloaded latest info on it from the GRT web site. Can it be true that you can actually get encoder info from it to a GTX327 with one stinking wire? Just spent hours making up a harness to a AK-350 for nothing I guess.:confused:
Also it says it will interface a Trio A/P. Exactly what does it do with the A/P?
Is it something to just show your route or can you somehow operate the A/P through it? :confused::confused::confused:Going to have to have a long talk with their Techs. Good thing my rivet gun is not loaded.:rolleyes:

You do not need a seperate encoder for your transponder, it will get the altitude data from the EFIS. Yes, your Trio autopilot will take commands from the Sport. As to what capabilities you have between them depends on what options you have in both of them. I have the Trio ProPilot with both the GPSS and GPSV options, the external ARINC module from GRT along with the vertical command software option. With that combo I can do fully coupled approaches and control all the autopilot functions through the EFIS.

STOP! Put down the wire cutters. Before proceeding any further you need to think thru what you need, what you want, what might be nice, and draw up a complete wiring diagram. One of the compromises with the Sport, compared to the Horizon, is the limited number of serial pair ports. Take a look at how many you need (EIS? Remote mag sensor? Gps? SL30?) and how many you might like (altitude to transponder? Autopilot?). You may end up being glad you got the remote encoder.

I agree with Bob.
I have the GRT Sport and have a remote encoder for the transponder. I am out of inputs for the Sport.

GRT Sport SX Altitude Encoding

The GRT Sport will also output gray-code altitude to any transponder. Keeping that in mind, you can still keep all of your serial ports available, and you still don't need a stand-alone altitude encoder.

Chris

Read GRT Avionics Primer

Amazing what you can learn when you read ALL of the directions. :eek: Bought this about two years ago and forgot what a marvel it is. :D Think I have a handle on things now. I may use the gray wire for the TXP and still have a spare port since I have five and using only four. A stand alone TXP/ENC isn't a bad idea either. I can only save a few ounces by using the gray wire. Thank you gentlemen!:)
Stand by , I'm sure I'll have more questions.:eek: