walkman

Well Known Member
What is the real world difference between these units from an actual flying use perspective.

I priced two similarly equipped units on grt's prize wizard (widescreen sport). The horizon was exactly $2k more. What would I get for that $2k?

What is the real world difference between these units from an actual flying use perspective.

I priced two similarly equipped units on grt's prize wizard (widescreen sport). The horizon was exactly $2k more. What would I get for that $2k?

It really depends on what else you're putting in the panel and what the mission of your fying is. The Hx has a lot more interface options, serial/arinc ports, inputs and outputs for controlling and talking to other boxes, etc... Just more "horsepower" all the way around. Both are decent units, but they are definately apples and oranges.

Cheers,
Stein

Yep ...mission related ....

My plane was intended for night VFR, and after much discussion with Carlos at GRT, I opted for a dual Sport setup. Those discussions clarified to me that if I had gone for an IFR aircraft, the Horizon would have been my choice. I recommend you give the folks at GRT a call... they are incredibly helpful in explaining the + and - of Sport vs Horizon.

The HX gives you additional serial ports, included ARINC, and external single or dual AHRS. There are a few other small bells & whistles. Both units display the same graphics. The choice really comes down between the two based on your mission. I have a Sport SX with the internal GPS and all the optional stuff hooked up with an SL30 and Trio ProPilot with GPSV. It is set up for light IFR (that's punch through a layer of clouds not sit in IMC for an hour). Don't however exclude the new HXr from your choices. In my opinion the interface is much nicer than the HX and Sport SX.

My mission

Is light to moderate IFR. Mostly punching up and down though layers, some approaches, but not really down to mins in this airplane.

I currently have a 300xl and will be panel mounting my iFly 720 unit as well. I would be using the grt autopilot. Eventually I will replace my kx155 with a 430w or similar so I don't need an internal gps.

I will retain some steam gauges for backup, although will eventually go with electric horizon.

I'm having trouble figuring out how I would accommodate the 10" screen along with the iFly (in portrait) and 4 steam gauges (airspeed, alt, attitude, cdi). As it is I think I'm going to have to move the radio stack.

Last edited:
Don't forget the mundane - do a careful count of the number of serial ports you'll need, bearing in mind that they are paired(both input and output of a pair run at the same speed). If there is a 430w in your future you'll want to display the cdi on your efis, saving the $2K cost of a garmin cdi. That requires an ARINC input. I think that costs you $500 and a serial port on the sport and HS, but is included on the HX. Serial lines to/from autopilot, gps, transponder, engine instruments, remote magnetometer (and ADHRS on HS or HX), second EFIS, .... They all add up. I went with an HX and HS pair, and ended up using 7of the serial ports on the HX.

When time comes for a backup electric AI I think you'll find a Dynon D6 or a TT ADI (I forget the name of the new unit) to be both less expensive and more reliable than a mechanical AI.