erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
Wanted to pass along this information to GRT EFIS owners. I redid the panel on my -7A recently, replacing the Horizon 1 EFIS with a Sport SX. Worked great for a few months, but then the serial ports that transmitted GPS info to the autopilot and the altitude info to the transponder went bad. Sent the unit back to GRT who confirmed the diagnosis and promptly replaced the offending circuit board, saying that this was a very rare occurrence. Reinstalled the unit and all was back to normal....until a few weeks later when the same problem occurred. Additionally, on a subsequent flight, the screen suddenly went completely white with no input from me. Yikes! Im only a VFR guy, but it was nice to have a backup GPS and airspeed at that point.

Contacted GRT, and their initial reaction was there must be something in my wiring that is frying this thing. Not sure how that would happen when Im pretty much limited to 14 volts, but regardless, I sent the unit back in for their diagnosis. Long story short, the problem was found to be a small batch of defective boards that short out, allowing full voltage to get to a chip designed to run on 5 volts. I was apparently the first to report the problem and was unlucky enough to have my replacement board come from the same lot of defective boards. Problem resolved, and unit is on its way back to me, while GRT is having a conversation with their supplier. Im feeling much better now.

Bottom line: I don't focus all that much on whether a company has had problems with their products. Everyone has had problems from time to time. Its how they deal with the problems and the speed at which the problems are resolved that matters. Good job GRT.

erich

Good info. Out of curiosity when did you purchase yours? I have a relatively new SX as well and wonder if they will notify affected users. Would be nice to replace before I start flying, if needed.

Chris

Estimating original SX purchase was middle of 2014; install not completed until January 2015. Not really clear on how I managed to get another defective board when it was replaced again approximately a month ago if there was only a small lot of defective boards to begin with. Talk to Mark at GRT if you want to follow up.

erich

Last edited:
Too bad this happened but glad they found the problem. I'm sure you also found GRT to be responsive to the problem. I'm installing my third GRT system (third build) and love their products. I only had an issue once with the Sport in my RV4 which ended up not being anything wrong with the unit but the magnetometer placement. They worked with me to find the problem and it was quickly resolved by moving it. They are one of the good guys in our world.