Alan Carroll

Well Known Member
Does anyone have experience with flying this EFIS in IFR conditions? Grand Rapid's web site and documentation say its intended for VFR, and that the Horizon is intended for IFR. However I learned from Carlos at GRT that both units use the same software and electronic gyros (he was very prompt and helpful by the way).

As far as I can tell the VFR/IFR distinction is solely based on better potential redundancy with the Horizon, because the Horizon's external AHRS (or dual AHRS) can drive two screens. I don't plan to install two screens, so this feature isn't really relevant. Dual AHRS would be nice, but I'm not sure its worth spending twice as much money to get. I already have a Trutrak ADI II that serves as a good backup.

So is the Sport SX a reliable IFR substitute for a vacuum AI and DG?

I don't see why not.. the unit doesn't know it's in the clouds :) Mine worked fine and never skipped a beat.. I'd still fly it some in VMC to "prove" itself.. and gives you an opportunity to get familiar with the unit (there's a lot of functionality) before getting knee deep in the clouds..

GRT Sport IFR

I have a GRT Sport WS (the original - older version) and have flown it IFR, with an ADI II as backup. I have a regular altimeter and ASI as well for backup, but the Sport has never missed a beat.

Several IFR flights

I have the Sport in our 6a and in April upgraded to the SX. I fly about 150 hours a year and stay IFR current. My personal minimum is 500 ft and have had no problem avoiding lower weather. In August before AHRS .34 my AHRS pooped out when I was on approach. The ATIS said 600 ft ceiling but it had just cleared off, so I did not get to practice my partial panel in real conditions. I mentioned it to GRT and they said they saw the error one other time and it was addressed in the .34 version that came out later in August. I like my Sport SX and would not trade it for any other system. But as the GRT site says - do not rely on the GRT alone for your safety in IMC. When that happened the attitude indicator and airspeed went blank. Funny how Murphy likes to pop in at just the worst time. It was the only time my EFIS was less than perfect. Based on the quality of GRT I believe failures will be very rare.

GRT Sport

I have 400hrs on my dual sport system and have used it in IMC with no problems. I do have redundacy as suggested by the guys at GRT.