NYTOM

Well Known Member
Is there any advantage to a GRT Sport with an internal GPS over just interfacing my 496 with XM instead and saving a few hundred bucks for other goodies? I guess redundancy is good as is a stand alone GPS but wondered if the weather from the 496 would show up on the Sport screen along with the GPS position info. Forgot to ask Stein last week and want to get this magic box ordered. Anybody been in a similar quandary.

I'd just interface it to the 496. The only advantage is redundancy, and there are a lot cheaper ways to get that if you really want it.
The weather from the 496 will not show up on the Sport.

Thanks Dennis. I kind of figured that was the case but wasn't sure about the display.

I'm no expert on all the other possible GPS solutions and features, but I think the internal GRT GPS drives:
  • winds aloft (derived)
  • flight plan track heading cues
  • HITS approaches
  • obstructions on the PFD
  • runways on the PFD
  • etc.
I love mine. Give GRT a call and discuss it with them. I thought it was a heck of a deal for $400 (actually it was free via the SnF special when I ordered mine)

I bought a $30 GPS receiver on Ebay and interfaced it to my GRT Sport. It is installed under the cowl and it extremely reliable. Plus it gives me the option to have an extra serial transmit. I couldn't justify spending $400 for what I could do for 1/10th of the price.

Here is a GPS puck similar to what I purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Globalsat-BR355...0581378884?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item43a7fff744

The only trick to this is getting 5V to the unit. I modified a car cell phone charger to get 5V.

There's nothing special about the internal GPS.. it's just a GPS like any other... The actual unit is Garmin 15H (look it up... it's meant for internal installation) and it doesn't provide any functionality that an external one can't do. All the things Mike listed are available with any GPS...

There's nothing special about the internal GPS.. it's just a GPS like any other... The actual unit is Garmin 15H (look it up... it's meant for internal installation) and it doesn't provide any functionality that an external one can't do. All the things Mike listed are available with any GPS...
as long as it is interfaced with the GRT EFIS.

My Sport does have the internal GPS, however, I'm forever using the external 296. The only time I switch to the internal is to see if it's still working (Actually, if it weren't I would get a warning). So, while using the external 296, I can still see all the stuff Mike mentioned in his list above. But, it could be the internal is forcing it to the screen. By reading the manual, I kind of doubt that is what's happening. The folks at GRT would tell you in an instant. I do kind of like having the redundancy.

No. internal one isn't "forcing" anything in.. if it's not selected it doesn't do anything..

Love this site

Seems like the majority here would do without the internal GPS as long as another is present in or on the panel. I think I'll save the $400 bucks and add it to the funds I'll eventually be sending to Dean at Aeroleds .:rolleyes:
I carried a backup portable GPS for years in my flight bag and never had to use it. I'll still carry it but it will be backing up my 496. Thanks everyone for the input in helping me make my decision.;)

I bought a $30 GPS receiver on Ebay and interfaced it to my GRT Sport. It is installed under the cowl and it extremely reliable. Plus it gives me the option to have an extra serial transmit. I couldn't justify spending $400 for what I could do for 1/10th of the price.
Here is a GPS puck similar to what I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Globalsat-BR355...0581378884?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item43a7fff744
The only trick to this is getting 5V to the unit. I modified a car cell phone charger to get 5V.
I pulled my 5V from the EIS - same one used for the fuel gauges.