vluvelin

Well Known Member
How mush do you guys trust maps airspace and synthetic vision on EFIS???
did you find any mistakes around your flying area???

in the small piece of planet where i fly I have 2 errors and quiet disturbing to me
1) Non existent Airspace B around Montreal and Ottawa 2500 to 17900
2) Synthetic vision Airport CSE4 runways 10/28 about 20 degrees off ( when i lined up on final )

tried couple of other airports with runways 10/28 and 03/21
situation much better but not perfect looks like 2-3 degrees off

where is this errors are coming from??
Database??
GPS??
AHARS

magnetometers aligned perfectly
DUAL HX
DUAL AHARS
W430
Latest software update V7
FAA Database

How mush do you guys trust maps airspace and synthetic vision on EFIS???
did you find any mistakes around your flying area???

in the small piece of planet where i fly I have 2 errors and quiet disturbing to me
1) Non existent Airspace B around Montreal and Ottawa 2500 to 17900
2) Synthetic vision Airport CSE4 runways 10/28 about 20 degrees off ( when i lined up on final )

tried couple of other airports with runways 10/28 and 03/21
situation much better but not perfect looks like 2-3 degrees off

where is this errors are coming from??
Database??
GPS??
AHARS

magnetometers aligned perfectly
DUAL HX
DUAL AHARS
W430
Latest software update V7
FAA Database

Airspace database is the last free Canadian issue which is many years old.

I was thinking about purchasing Jepsen data base, I believe it replaces the current old one with new info, not sure though.Anyone done this ?
Does this also update info displayed when in Map mode and using display airport data feature ?

In regards to synthetic vision and airports not being where that should be, you are correct. I have the same issue in southern Ontario. As soon as you cross the US border the runways are exactly where the synthetic vision says they should be.

You can enter corrections for your most used airports, check with GRT.

Peter

HX/HS combo, latest software. I have never noticed any errors like this. I wonder if it's an issue getting Canadian data?
Edit - I see you got a better answer, above, while I was typing!

Not that anything is impossible, I hardly think this is an AHAR issue.
The non-existent airspace is coming from the DB and I assume you are using the GRT DB. Do you know what is the date of that DB? In regards to Synthetic vision, do you mean Synthetic approach? Also, keep in mind if there is some wind, you might be crabbing and therefore seeing the runway not straight as oppose to your track.

It's because you're in Canadian airspace. The GRT nav database comes from the U.S. government and is only good for U.S. airspace. I believe there are a few Canadian airports in there, maybe some Canadian GRT guys can chime in.

GRT's best advice was always to buy the Jeppesen subscription data package for Canada.

"Synthetic runway offset from actual"

"Hello all.
We have had the same problem with the original supplied database.
After going over to Jeppesen IFR database our GRT Sport SX is showing the runways where they should be.

Best wishes to you all, Bengt, Calgary"

Long nose six

This was posted in a thread by "BFoll" in the Glass Cockpitt section, tread started by petersb title "Synthetic runway offset from actual"

Last edited:
Bengt - have you ever let the Jepp data in your GRT EFIS expire? I'm very curious to know how the EFIS handles an out-of-date database.

We have an HX, a Mini-X and a Garmin GNS480. I have no desire to be purchasing subscriptions for all of them on a regular basis if I can avoid it - that gets very expensive very quickly.

Hello Joy.
As far as I know it just keep using the last database.
At the moment in South Utah with our travel machine.
Bengt

Bengt - have you ever let the Jepp data in your GRT EFIS expire? I'm very curious to know how the EFIS handles an out-of-date database.

We have an HX, a Mini-X and a Garmin GNS480. I have no desire to be purchasing subscriptions for all of them on a regular basis if I can avoid it - that gets very expensive very quickly.

I don't know how the GRT EFIS handles an out of date Jepp database, but my guess is that it handles it exactly like it does with the free database-- The EFIS tells you when the database was last updated on the boot screen, but still allows you to use it. (someone please correct me if this is wrong.) I've known pilots to go years without updating their GRT nav database and their maps work fine (NOT recommended, by the way!) The map database is intended for VFR use only, so it really has no reason to disable itself if it's out of date. (An IFR GPS database would be included with your IFR certified GPS navigation system, NOT the GRT screen.)

Your Jepp database will transfer from one GRT EFIS to the others (including the Mini), so you'll only need to purchase one subscription per airplane.

Thanks for that additional info, Katie.

The idea of paying Jepp for two subscriptions (GRT and GNS480) is, well pretty abhorrent to me, so I likely will use the GRT database on an "update once in a while" program and keep the GNS480 current. Even at that, ouch, that is expensive.

In the meantime, I'm liking the 'free' updates from FltPlanGO. I say "free" in quotations because keeping the database updated on my phone sucks up a good chunk of my data plan subscription.

Jeppesen database purchase fixed the problem

Airspace around Montreal is correct and CSE4 runway is in place!!!

Thank you for the update.
I have the same problem with my GRT MiniX flying out of Lachute.

How much was the update from Jeppesen?