I have just been watching the site to see when they started selling them, how long until you should get yours? I know they are a small shop up there, not sure if they build the units in Grand Rapids or if they have them built in China like Dynon does.

I have just been watching the site to see when they started selling them, how long until you should get yours? I know they are a small shop up there, not sure if they build the units in Grand Rapids or if they have them built in China like Dynon does.
I am told it’s a couple weeks. I believe they are made in Grand Rapids.

Does the new model have internal battery backup capability?
From GRT’s website;
The Mini EFIS (Generation II) is now in production and units will begin shipping soon. Unlike the previous Mini, this version mounts in a 3-1/8″ hole and has a number of refinements which include a high resolution display, optional touchscreen, up to 6 serial ports and an analog port.

Our “only pay for the features you need” pricing model used on the Sport EX has been highly popular, so we have chosen to apply this to the new Mini pricing as well. The base model Mini includes a full featured PFD, autopilot control (full lateral/altitude hold), and engine display (EIS required).

Available options include Touch screen, Moving Map, Synthetic Vision, Vertical Autopilot Commands, Additional Serial Ports, Internal Backup Battery, and Angle of Attack.

We have created two packages that include features commonly ordered together which provide a discount over purchasing them separately. The “Basic Package” adds the Moving Map and Synthetic Vision options to the base model. The “Advanced Package” adds the Moving Map, Synthetic Vision, Additional Serial Ports and Vertical Autopilot Command options to the base model.

Does the new model have internal battery backup capability?
Per a recent e-mail from GRT, a backup battery is a hardware option that will be available in the second production run, which will start in about a month. Units sold w/o backup batteries can also be sent back to GRT to have batteries added to them. We're in no major rush, and want a backup battery, so we're going to wait for the second production run.

I am a FIRM BELIEVER in backup batteries for instruments like the G5 and Mini II. They add a huge amount of redundancy for very little cost and weight, and can turn a potentially scary situation into no big deal. Ask me how I know. 🤣

you can always make your own back up battery using toggle switch to change from ship power to backup battery, very cheap to make, have a 20 dollar agm battery or a C or D battery pack to switch it over to

Per a recent e-mail from GRT, a backup battery is a hardware option that will be available in the second production run, which will start in about a month. Units sold w/o backup batteries can also be sent back to GRT to have batteries added to them. We're in no major rush, and want a backup battery, so we're going to wait for the second production run.

I am a FIRM BELIEVER in backup batteries for instruments like the G5 and Mini II. They add a huge amount of redundancy for very little cost and weight, and can turn a potentially scary situation into no big deal. Ask me how I know.
I opted for a Monkworkz backup generator Instead. I had an alternator failure and decided to add a backup power source. The nice thing about the generator is it supplies 30 amps to my main buss as long as the engine is running, plenty of power for the EFIS and radio.
YMMV

I opted for a Monkworkz backup generator Instead. I had an alternator failure and decided to add a backup power source. The nice thing about the generator is it supplies 30 amps to my main buss as long as the engine is running, plenty of power for the EFIS and radio.
YMMV
Would work in most cases. But I had a failure where the entire bus went down!

FYI, Dynon equipment is not manufactured in China, they are manufactured in our facility in Woodinville Washington. Even the circuit boards are built upstairs on our surface mount line.

Last edited:
To add a little more detail...

The first production run will not have any of the hardware options available. I'm assured the second production run WILL have those hardware options available.

Not mentioned anywhere is the digital magnetometer. If one wants the Mini to display magnetic heading (rather than GPS ground track) then one needs to purchase and install a digital magnetometer. This digital magnetometer is not a new product but rather is the same one used with GRT's line of current-generation EFIS products.

Also not mentioned in product literature available to date is the Mini's internal GPS capability. The Mini is furnished with a small GPS "puck" antenna (which is fantastically sensitive) as standard equipment. Position data provided through this GPS is used for basic point-to-point navigation and, importantly, to provide proper orientation of the screen data presented through the Moving Map and Synthetic Vision software options.

To add a little more detail...

The first production run will not have any of the hardware options available. I'm assured the second production run WILL have those hardware options available.

Not mentioned anywhere is the digital magnetometer. If one wants the Mini to display magnetic heading (rather than GPS ground track) then one needs to purchase and install a digital magnetometer. This digital magnetometer is not a new product but rather is the same one used with GRT's line of current-generation EFIS products.

Also not mentioned in product literature available to date is the Mini's internal GPS capability. The Mini is furnished with a small GPS "puck" antenna (which is fantastically sensitive) as standard equipment. Position data provided through this GPS is used for basic point-to-point navigation and, importantly, to provide proper orientation of the screen data presented through the Moving Map and Synthetic Vision software options.
I also ordered a magnetometer. The unit does have an internal GPS and uses the small antenna puck, now I’ll have another one. It also has internal AHRS.

I also ordered a magnetometer.
The Mini Gen 2 uses the digital magnetometer. If you fly the legacy AHRS (HXr), then you may want the magnetometer with the new Mini. Otherwise, the mini reverts to GPS ground track for a “heading”.

The Mini Gen 2 uses the digital magnetometer. If you fly the legacy AHRS (HXr), then you may want the magnetometer with the new Mini. Otherwise, the mini reverts to GPS ground track for a “heading”.
To add clarity - legacy GRT equipment used an analog magnetometer. That's equipment like the WS, HS, HX, HXr and similar units from the Sport line of EFIS. Some number of years ago GRT switched to a digital magnetometer. The digital magnetometer retains the same physical packaging as the analog unit so swapping from analog to digital is very easy from a mechanical standpoint. Obviously the electrical interface is completely different - the digital magnetometer is only 3 wires, power, ground and RS232 out. The RS232 output can be shared between several EFIS units but only one EFIS powers the magnetometer.