Larry Parham

Well Known Member
I have talked with GRT.........I have GRTs magnetometer and AHARs feeding a WS screen and when I attempt the FINE MAGNETOMETER CALIBRATION my screen says Failed to start magnetometer calibration whthin 15 seconds of starting my 360 +20 turn (towards west from north).......Also my X RAW DATA for north and south only are out of their limits. I have moved the magnetometer 6foot from the plane to make sure there was no magnetic problems.
Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have the orientation set properly? I had an issue with mine being set Vertical/Horizontal and it was incorrect and not in the instructions. Also I believe they are directional Front/Back. After I corrected the orientation issue, it calibrated no problem. I also assume you have double checked all of your wiring to make sure you don't have something mixed up? It seems every time I wire something of theirs up I always mess up the serial wires, Serial outputs go to the corresponding serial input on the Head Unit.

I have talked with GRT.........I have GRTs magnetometer and AHARs feeding a WS screen and when I attempt the FINE MAGNETOMETER CALIBRATION my screen says Failed to start magnetometer calibration whthin 15 seconds of starting my 360 +20 turn (towards west from north).......Also my X RAW DATA for north and south only are out of their limits. I have moved the magnetometer 6foot from the plane to make sure there was no magnetic problems.
Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes the orientation is set properly and confirmed by GRT. In flight I am getting incorrect winds and some high wind speeds and the H on the tape is off the chart.

I suspect your wind direction and H is off the chart because you are not getting any info (wiring or bad Mag) or severely wrong info from the magnetometer . You probably already know this that the amount of correction by the calibration mode is limited (can?t remember the exact number) and if beyond the limit, the calibration will fail.

Long shot here, but the arrow sticker on mine that indicates the forward end of the magnetometer was incorrectly applied and 180 degrees off. Worth checking.

erich

Send it to GRT

While it's rare, magnetometers do occasionally fail. If you've checked wiring, orientation and being level with the AHRS then I recommend you send it to GRT for a checkup. I find their customer support top notch.

Mine did fail

While it's rare, magnetometers do occasionally fail. If you've checked wiring, orientation and being level with the AHRS then I recommend you send it to GRT for a checkup. I find their customer support top notch.

Just to let you know, mine did fail (wouldn't hold calibration) and GRT sold me a replacement. Cost wasn't too bad.

Let me know if it is bad and not covered under warranty. I have a spare (new and unused) from my Mini-X that I don't plan on installing.

Larry