walkman

Well Known Member
Should I put it in the wing or in the rear fuselage?

Is there any pressing reason for one location over another?

Either for you

Martin-
you can do either since you have manual trim so you don't need to avoid that. You don't have antennas in the wing tips either (i think). the fuse run might be easier if there is conduit in the wing. I can help you run it either way chose on saturday morning.

thanks Dan

I plan on spending a good 12 hours down there on Sat.

I started to put in the EIS engine sensors. Got EGT, CHT, oil temp in place. Need to purchase some AN fittings for the oil and fuel pressure, and make up a little bracket for fuel flow.

should have the fittings and the carb temp sensor by sat. hope to have a/p servos, ahrs, and magnetometer mounted by sat night.

Mine's going under the top skin, just behind the baggage bulkhead.

On another note; LOTS of people installing HXr's in Georgia. If anyone wants to help me, I'll buy lunch in Macon :)

I put mine in the tail.

I seem to remember GRT wanted it in line with the fuselage, but I could be wrong.

The main reason was that I don't have an easy way to run wires in my -6A wings.

I put it under the tail faring for easy access (but have not needed access yet)

Also a small part of my decision was based on a off airport landing another RV owner had, and the number of wires he had to cut to get the wings off to trailer home.

But I have contemplated moving it forward for CG. But it is so light it won't matter too much for me.

But I have seen it both places.

Not much help, but that was my thought process. :)

Tail works ...

I have mine under the vertical stabilizer/fuselage intersection fairing.

Works fine .. BUT!!!!!! ...

Be sure to make sure that is protected from getting WET.

Left plane on ramp overnight while travelling once. Major storm came through overnight and a lot of water ran UNDER the fairing right onto the magnetometers (I have two there). The EFIS was NOT happy when I fired it up to leave that next morning. Later in the day (by the time I got home) it dried out and all was well. I quickly protected it with a plastic sheet (as I had told myself I would when it was first installed.).

James

Guys that mounted in the fuse or tail

did you have any issues at all from any steel fittings back there such as rudder cable fittings, seat belt fittings etc?

Wing tip is best

Putting the Mag in the wing tip is the best place to put it. Halfway back on the outboard rib, on the outside of the rib. This position puts the mag more than two feet from the tiplights and away from all moving ferrous metal. If you have an antenna in the tip it wont hurt the install if it is just a nav(recieve only)antenna.

Putting it in the rear of the fuse may lead to errors from elevator horns or rudder cables. Most errors can be factored out but some errors may not. With any error, compensated for or not, it may degrade the accuracy of the compass heading.

Install page from the GRT website.

http://www.grtavionics.com/File/Install Manuals/mag_D.pdf

No errors with mine in the tail. I checked both rudder and elevator to full deflection on the ground. No errors in the air.