walkman

Well Known Member
Question for the group, I have not been able to glean the answer from GRT's documentation.

I am planning out how to interface my HXr with my radios. I have two IFR GPS, a 430W as primary and a GNC 300XL as backup.

The HXr has 2 ARINC in and 1 ARINC out. I am using the built-in auto pilot.

Can I have 1 in and 1 out for the 430W and the second ARINC in for the GNC 300? This would allow me to shoot IFR approaches on the EFIS from the 300 rather than the mid-continent CDI. ARINC is needed rather than simple serial as the CDI must auto-scale. I don't care about getting air/data information from the EFIS to the 300 particularly.

Second question, my backup for the HXr is a Gemini PFD. I want to have a 3 position switch that will accept serial data from the 430, 300, or ifly unit. Can I be sending both ARINC data and serial data out simultaneously on these GPS units?

Last question: certainly, at least for the 430, it will send out ARINC and serial data at the same time.
First question. I think you ran out of ARINC in ports. The 430 sends out GPS data to one, and VOR data to a second. You might need an external, second ARINC box for the 300.

Last question: certainly, at least for the 430, it will send out ARINC and serial data at the same time.
First question. I think you ran out of ARINC in ports. The 430 sends out GPS data to one, and VOR data to a second. You might need an external, second ARINC box for the 300.

Ah, I did not get that from reading the installation manuals. So I need all the ARINC ports for the 430W?

Ok, well I guess its serial data to the EFIS and Gemini from the 300 then.

Ah, I did not get that from reading the installation manuals. So I need all the ARINC ports for the 430W?

Ok, well I guess its serial data to the EFIS and Gemini from the 300 then.

The HXr has 4 ARINC 429 connections, 2 in, 2 out.....

You can install a switch (4 pole, single throw) to switch all 4 GPS ARINC lines (in A, in B, out A, out B) to/from the IFR GPS's. Inbe one position it'll connect those 4 pins to the 430, in the other, to the 300XL. You should be able to hook both serial connections to the HXr as GPS 1 and GPS2. You'll then have 1 ARINC in for the VOR part of the 430, and an out for whatever (unused most likely, unless you get an external autopilot) left on the HXr.

The switch is a good idea, assuming both boxes use the same format. You only need to switch the 'outs' from the receivers to the 'in' on the EFIS. The 'out' from the efis can go to both receivers simultaneously.

Input Switching.

Step one: Bob is right, you can split the ARINC out information from the EFIS to both units.

Step two: GTMule is almost right. there are two(2) ARINC in and one(1) ARINC out to/from the HXr. Using a Switch to change the ARINC GPS IN data between the 430 and the 300xl Should be possible. so it would take the ARINC GPS input to the EFIS and switch it btween the 430 ARINC GPS OUT and the 300XL GPS ARINC OUT.

That would leave the VOR/ILS Arinc Output from the 430 active on the HXr at all times.

There is another way that i need more info on and will get back on it this afternoon.

Making sense...

OK a switch would make sense as long as there isn't any reconfiguration that needs to happen on either the HXr or the 300 when the switch is thrown.

again, this is for the emergency case where I am IFR and the 430W fails but the 300 and EFIS are up and would allow me to use the EFIS as the primary indicator for a non-precision GPS approach rather than the external mid-continent CDI. ARINC is required for CDI auto-scaling. so, its unlikely to be used (I hope!)

Excellent info gents.

Since the purpose is to use the 300 following a failure of the 430, I would suggest a 3 pole switch: two for the A and B ARINC lines, and one for the serial line. I don't know but I suspect you would lose capability without the serial data, need to ask GRT.

Confirmed with GRT

That I can switch the ARINC in signal between GPS units. Serial data in can go to their own dedicated GPS input and does not need to be switched.

I will however use the same switch as the ARINC in selector to also switch serial to the Gemini PFD backup. That way the same data will always be used on the Gemini as is being used on the HXr.