N395V

Well Known Member
Has anyone been having trouble getting their units to boot requiring more than on try at the on off switch to make it finally boot up?

If so what is the problem/ fix?

Is it hanging in a particular place in the boot Milt, or not giving you anything?

I have had occasional boot hangs - a couple of times a year maybe (remember, I fly about 290 days a year....), and have never had one that wasn't fixed with a simple "two finger salute" (left and right white buttons simultaneously for a few seconds). Of course, i run a lot of Beta software, so I expect to have an occasional blip.

Try NOT power cycling, and just do the two buttons, and see if you have any difference. And, of course, make sure you have the latest software....obvious, I know....

Paul

Paul,

I hope there are very few issues remain with the GRT HX now, as I have 3 screens installed in my up and comming, nearly finished 10 and I certainly do not want "issues."

Oh Boy, oh boy.

Kenny Gene
294TC - 7a - 560 hrs
484TC - 10 - finishing

Paul,

I hope there are very few issues remain with the GRT HX now, as I have 3 screens installed in my up and comming, nearly finished 10 and I certainly do not want "issues."

Oh Boy, oh boy.

Kenny Gene
294TC - 7a - 560 hrs
484TC - 10 - finishing

Let's see....coming up on 5 years and 1150 hours of flight time with a full GRT airplane...never have had an inflight software or hardware issue. My experience is that you'll be just fine! ;)

I have 2 HX's and a lot of flying and I have not had any boot issues in any phase of operation.
Moving map?:confused: well thats another thread.

Try NOT power cycling, and just do the two buttons, and see if you have any difference. And, of course, make sure you have the latest software....obvious, I know....

Paul

Pretty much does nothing, a little flicker (enough to know it powers up) then nothing.

If/when it happens again I'll try the 2 finger thing.

Thanks,

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the previous responses but I think most GRT installs have the HX connected to a battery backup power source to prevent resets from occurring during engine start. If you don't have the battery backup power source, it might be worth considering installing one to eliminate the aggravation. TCW Technologies, LLC. (I think they advertise on the VAF forum) markets a backup power supply for this purpose also. Just a thought.

Do you get the bright screen. and...

Bright screen, a flicker, then the bright screen again?

Are you running this on a bench with a booster battery pack or something like that?

I couldn't boot my HS from the inexpensive mini-auto-booster-pack I bought. Voltage dropped a little when the HS booted, and triggered a restart.

So, I checked the voltage (thanks Carlos @ GRT), and sure enough, was a little low, only while booting the HS.

I bought an adjustable 12VDC switching power supply, checked the voltage while running, and it's rock solid. Boots fine, consistently.

If it's in the airplane, start looking for a high resistance (poor) connection in either the + or - power supply wiring. If you have the power supply fused, be aware that the resistance of an undersized fuse can increase when heated (current begins to flow) as well, dropping more voltage across the fuse than you would expect.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Knock on wood; I have not had any problems with my HX. It has been installed for about a year now. I don't power up the avionics buss until the engine has started and is stable for about 20 seconds.