andyrv

Well Known Member
Just got back from some testing on my new GTN-650 connected to a GRT HX and most of it went perfect. It was after hours when I got back so GRT is closed. Hoping someone else with a similar setup can help with a small issue.

When I select VOR on the 650 CDI the GRT HX HSI displays the CDI info on the screen but the OBS information is not going back to the 650 so the OBS soft key is just greyed out on the 650. I have verified that the 650 is getting data from the ARINC port and the Serial port but can't find any settings on either the 650 or the GRT that involve setting up the OBS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Everyone from GRT is at Oshkosh, unlikely to get a hold of them until next week.
I have a 420W feeding an HX, but am familiar with the 430W.
On the 430W, the OBS (hard button) doesn't do anything when in VLOC mode. It is used to stop way point sequencing, and put the GPS into OBS mode (e.g., act like a VOR) but only in gps mode. So my question is, with the 650, is it supposed to do anything in VLOC mode? If you put the 650 and Hx (if needed) into gps mode, then can you select OBS on the 650, and vary the course by varying the Hx HSI couse pointer? If so then I'd say it's working as it should.

OBS

Bob,

When I put the 650 into OBS mode via softkey on 650 it allows me to enter a course on the 650 screen. The GRT HSI switches over and the right knob allows me to spin the CDI and the course numbers change on the HX. They numbers do not seem to be going back to the 650.

For example I entered OBS mode on 650. Dialed in 050 course on the 650 kepad and the CDI gives appropriate indication on the HX. I can spin the HSI pointer/CDI with the knob but the CDI needle stays pegged for the 050 indication all the way around the dial instead of reversing back and forth as I spin. The course entered on the 650 (050) never changes as I spin the course knob on the 650. Seems like the OBS course info is just not getting back to the 650.

Thanks,
Andy

Fixed Something

Bob,

Your note prompted me to pull the airplane out at 10 pm to get GPS signal and play with settings. I now have both GPS and VLOC course modes available with the GRT knob controlling the course selection on the GRT and the 650.

Played with a few settings (re-checked everything on the GRT and changed one setting on the 650) on both GRT and GTN and power cycled everything.

Thanks,
Andy

I think that all makes sense. On the 430 it will only prompt for an obs setting if it doesn't detect an external obs. It sounds like the Hx won't send the obs in the absence of a good gps signal and/or waypoint. Btw the obs setting is sent over the arinc line (Hx out to GTN in).