Kahuna

Moderatoring
With the now readily available IFR low/high charts free, how about we get them on screen. I be happy to update my NACO d/l tool to support them.
The current PDF viewer crashes with em, I suspect cause they are larger than the plates.
Since the moving map does not show the low/high airways, this seems a resonable short term solution.
Can you advise if this has been looked at?
Its the one item that still requires paper in my plane with your EFIS solution. Taking clearances and routes is not practical without these charts.
Please advise.
Thanks

We'll look in to it...

Kahuna,

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll look in to it and see what is required.

Regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

P.S. A number of GRT Avionics customers who use your plates utility say "thank you".

Carlos,
Let me know what you come up with. Im very eager to use this feature.
Implementation really does not have to be fancy.
A charts directory can be created on the stick, and a simple method that you already have in place to select em.

On the plate tool. I thought I was the only one using it, until FAA changed their URL scheme and broke it. The email flood ensued. Glad folks are using it.
Ill get working on the chart solution tool.

Yeah Kahuna, why don't you get crackin' on that :). I use your code too. I added a little 'diddy' for when the cron job fails, to go wget another copy of your script and give it a whirl just in case you fixed it :). Works great. As long as you don't break the the automation I have against your automation.

The IFR enroute charts now availabel for download are GeoTIFF format with conical projection, so yes, they are georeferenced raster images. There is absolutely no reason (other than perhaps resource limitations on the unit) that GRT could not display these geo-referenced with the little airplane in the correct position on the chart. Same goes for the VFR sectionals, TAFs, flyway charts, etc.

The IFR enroute charts now availabel for download are GeoTIFF format with conical projection, so yes, they are georeferenced raster images. There is absolutely no reason (other than perhaps resource limitations on the unit) that GRT could not display these geo-referenced with the little airplane in the correct position on the chart. Same goes for the VFR sectionals, TAFs, flyway charts, etc.

JP,
I have not been able to find free faa supplied rastered enroute low/high georeferenced.
Where are they?
Some rastered charts here.

Me Three, or 4, in line,, Geo approach plates

I'm just finishing up my 10 with 3 GRT HX screens, FLIR, AC, blah, blah, blah and I would VERY MUCH like to be able to keep current IFR approach and enroute charts,,, Git "R" Done Carlos!!

Kenny Gene
RV7a 9-7-07 585 hrs
RV10 10-10?? Finishing

Ive completed my beta tests on the charts downloading.
Automation on low, high and area complete.
Still working on terminal, sectional, et. all.
Ive advised Carlos of the format and structure to look for.
Will advise when we have some unit testing complete.
If we can get the unit to display these pretty darn big files, some as high as 11mb, then we will have significantly improved the ROI of this unit.
Best,

I will anxiously wait the result of these test and efforts. This certainly be a great option

Can I say out load, we love GRT :)

I take back what I said about the en-route charts. They are indeed different. The en-route charts are all PDF because they are generated from vector files. The difference between a vector and a raster image is a vector image can essentially be zoomed infinitely and will never get blurry because the lines are all defined by mathematics and not simply by storing an image. Raster images on the other hand do not do this...you look at the raster sectionals and zoom and eventually they all become blurry/pixelated.

Mike...the thing is...for the GRT units you don't need these PDFs to be vector PDFs. You can easily convert them to raster PDFs at a decent DPI which will significantly reduce their size. This is essentially what the folks at pdfplates.com are doing for the approach plates.

Check out the ImageMagick library. It will do the conversion rather easily.

Ive completed my beta tests on the charts downloading.
Automation on low, high and area complete.
Still working on terminal, sectional, et. all.
Ive advised Carlos of the format and structure to look for.
Will advise when we have some unit testing complete.
If we can get the unit to display these pretty darn big files, some as high as 11mb, then we will have significantly improved the ROI of this unit.
Best,

Hehe - are you planning on flying your RV into the flight levels, or just bringing the high charts for "completeness?"

:D

Yes I fly in in flight levels often and its not any extra work to have the highs on the stick.

Yes I fly in in flight levels often and its not any extra work to have the highs on the stick.

Makes sense - are you doing that in a standard RV, or in something else? Seems like performance in the flight levels would be rather anemic in a non-turbo bird.

Makes sense - are you doing that in a standard RV, or in something else? Seems like performance in the flight levels would be rather anemic in a non-turbo bird.

Calling Kahunas Super 8 a "Standard RV" is like calling a class A motor home and "Camper"

Calling Kahunas Super 8 a "Standard RV" is like calling a class A motor home and "Camper"

Ok a fair statement - but (and my memory is always suspect) I don't think he is turbocharged. Even starting with 230hp he would be down under 100hp up that high.

Certainly possible, just unusual for us older folks to want to put the mask on (required past 18k'). My days of thinking "mask face" is "cool" are at least 20 years in the past...

In any event, given the FACT that he does do it it makes perfect sense to load the high charts.

I tend to break stuff, and batteries fail. Thus I'm a paper chart guy...

That said, if you were ramp checked and produced an iPad with plates and charts loaded... is it legal?

So if you just rolled into an FBO on a 200 + 1/2 day, your electronic flight bag better be TSO'd?

The rules are changing quickly on this. Part 91.21 says you can't operate portable devices; but 91.21b5 says it's ok if the pilot has determined that a particular device isn't an issue.

Wikipedia has a pretty good summary writeup here. Others have looked up the remaining regs, but it appears that you can use a portable device as an EFB for Part 91 non-commercial ops.

I don't recall a reg that even requires you to carry a chart, only to have the current information. How you get it is up to you.

That's a good point. I typically print only what I need off AOPA's site since I don't have an EFB yet. Still waiting for longer-term assessment of the iPad for cockpit use.