miyu1975

Well Known Member
Does the GRT Horizon RAIM GPS meet the requirement for IFR flight as a GPS for enroute and non precision approaches.? I know for a GPS to approved for IFR flight it has to be RAIM, which is why I am asking..thanks....sorry if this has already been discussed before.

Does the GRT Horizon RAIM GPS meet the requirement for IFR flight as a GPS for enroute and non precision approaches.? I know for a GPS to approved for IFR flight it has to be RAIM, which is why I am asking..thanks....sorry if this has already been discussed before.

While RAIM is a requirement, there are other aspects of TSO 129(a1) that would need to be met in order to utilize it for precision approaches. Annunciators are the biggest thing that pops into my mind; I'm not familiar with the GRT GPS so I don't know if it has internal annunciators (like the GNS 430 and KLN 94) or if it needs something external (Like the KLN89B, Garmin GNS 300, etc.)

Your best bet might be to ask Grand Rapids directly; armed with knowledge from the TSO (found at http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgtso.nsf/0/e560cd9c6acf8ba186256dc700717e0f/$FILE/C129a.pdf).

Unless I am completely wrong, the answer, as stated above, is "no" - you can't use it as a sole source for IFR flight. I have always believed that it is intended to be the basis for a future GRT IFR GPS, but that's just me reading between the lines, and not really knowing their intentions. I have flown with their RAIM GPS as my "Number Two" GPS source for several years now, and it is a rock-solid GPS engine.

Paul

OK...thanks all...I was kicking around the idea of having the GRT RAIM GPS along with an SL30, but sounds like I would still need another IFR GPS, ie 300xl, or 400 series garmin in order to be able to file IFR with gps..thanks all