jjhoneck

Well Known Member
We're in the midst of installing an Hxr in our -8A, and have hooked up an audio wire as part of the Hxr's wiring harness.

This implies that the unit puts out audible messages. Yet nowhere on the GRT website can I find reference to this capability.

Does the GRT Horizon Hxr have audible warnings/messages? Does it warn of terrain? Low oil pressure? Anything?

Thanks!

The audible warnings are listed as "future upgrades". There are none as of now.
Angle of Attack, and close-in traffic, would be nice.
Oil pressure is handled pretty well by the flashing red screen.

I have had more than one conversation with Greg concerning audio alerts at Osh in the past. GRT has had the statement in the manuals about "future upgrade" at least since 2005 when I first started working with GRT. In my past discussions I had the feeling that GRT is not all that keen on providing audio alarms. I did voice my opinion that they would be beneficial to have but I am not so sure my opinion held much clout with them.

Audible alarms would be a nice feature that seems relatively trivial to add to an already very powerful system. I don't see a downside to having them.

A while back I think it was Kahuna that posted something about getting at least warning tones using an additional tone generator or something like that. I couldn't find it here or on the GRT boards. Perhaps he can chime in or shoot him a PM.

Thanks, guys. Given that those posts are from April 2013, it appears that GRT is working on this at a somewhat glacial pace.

Audible alerts would be great, especially if you could provide your own mp3 file for each alert.

I think I'd get my mum to do them. At almost 50 I still have the same immediate reaction when she speaks to me in a sharp tone of voice as I did when a kid. If I heard her say "Pull Up!" I think I would without thinking. :D