Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I've been flying the -8 for a while now and it has all the bells and whistles I could ever imagine using. That said, it has dual GRT Horizon displays as well as the EIS 4000. I have yet to look at the EIS for any reason in flight, so I have to wonder what value it offers me that is not found on the Horizon display. In short, I'm thinking the EIS is just taking up valuable panel space and before I consider removing it, I should see if you people can educate me.

Am I missing out on some added features with this panel configuration, or is it just redundant hardware?

Many have done this. Its an ugly cheesy eye sore and has no business on a nice panel. Its a legacy device they have not updated. It may be useful to have access to it initially during configuration. After that, hide that nasty thing.

Move... Not REMOVE...

Just to clarify. The EIS cannot be removed entirely. It provides all of the engine information to the Horizon display via serial input. You can, however move the EIS to another location. Call GRT and have them build up two pigtails for the EIS connectors to any length you specify, then move the display to some obscure location. Once the EIS is programmed initially you will probably never need to use it again. The pigtail connectors can be had for $35 each.

keep it where you can see it.

Keep it where you can see it because:
  1. It can be turned on before startup and thus indicate rpm and oil pressure immediately whereas the EFIS cannot. Disregard if you have steam gauge backup for this.
  2. It is good backup for the EFIS(s). If VFR only disregard this one.
  3. Keep the big red light visible in any event.
  4. It can be programmed to different upper and lower limits or as redundant programming.

Actually "H", it's very easy to have the EFIS's powered up for engine start - you just wire an isolated Aux battery up to one of th three power feeds, and they never see the engine start voltage drop.

I agree that the EIS just doesn't look right on a modern panel full of EFIS's - I put mine down by the fuel selector, so I can use it as a backup, and because I couldn't find many other good places to put it in the -8. I use it with a set of "No-kiddin'" limits to drive the "Master Warning" light in my airplane. In an airplane with a good place to hide it, it wouldn't bother me to do that either.

Paul

Hinged Drop Down Panel

I have seen them on a hinged drop down panel so you can program at will but save the panel space.

Hans

OK, that clears things up - it's a bus controller. I'll figure out a place to move it to another, less conspicuous location. The goal is to make space for the Garmin 496 up higher (which I do use) because it is currently mounted on top of (and blocking access to) the fuel selector - not good.

Thank you all!

If you have space for it but don't like the look of it, you can mount it from behind. This is what I have done and it looks very attractive and get complements about it all the time. The only thing that is visible is the screen and three buttons. As some one mentioned, it is a good backup if you have space for it.

Mine is mounted between my ankles in the center console of my -4. Unobtrusive and visible if ever needed as a back-up. I find entering my fuel after a fill-up easier on the EIS and like being able to see my OP, OT, & RPM on start-up, although wiring up the EFIS as Paul mentioned is a good idea I didn't think of before my panel upgrade.

While GRT is the leader in this category, they are behind the others in integrating the EIS into the EFIS. This is a common complaint and I hope they are listening. I love their products and would like to stay with them in the future. I'm on my second system with them now.

While GRT is the leader in this category, they are behind the others in integrating the EIS into the EFIS. This is a common complaint and I hope they are listening. I love their products and would like to stay with them in the future. I'm on my second system with them now.

To be fair, I actually think that this is a matter of how you see system's engineering. I prefer to have the functions separate in separate boxes, rather than "all-in-one". If my EFIS has a problem, I still have a functional EIS. If the EIS dies in an integrated unit, I probably lose the EFIS as well - at least while the unit is out being fixed. So one person's "complaint" might be another person's "compliment".

It's just a matter of how you look at the system's separation and redundancy.

Paul

I've been flying the -8 for a while now and it has all the bells and whistles I could ever imagine using. That said, it has dual GRT Horizon displays as well as the EIS 4000. I have yet to look at the EIS for any reason in flight, so I have to wonder what value it offers me that is not found on the Horizon display. In short, I'm thinking the EIS is just taking up valuable panel space and before I consider removing it, I should see if you people can educate me.

Am I missing out on some added features with this panel configuration, or is it just redundant hardware?

I choose to keep the EIS visible and use it every startup and flight. Compared to the EFIS, it's almost bulletproof simple and since you have to have it to get the engine data to the EFIS, you might as well at least consider keeping the LCD visible as a backup even if you power the EFIS from an aux battery that keeps the EFIS on during startup. I also use the EIS to reset my total fuel quantity after every fill up.

I've heard the several comments on the value of using the EIS on start up... Personally, I only need to know that there is oil pressure, so an idiot light takes care of that for the 30 seconds or so until the "glass" comes alive.

With that in mind, the EIS will be moved, but still in view... it just won't occupy the prime real estate on the panel it has now.

I do appreciate the input!