Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm going to go with the GRT EIS and was wondering about thier sensors. I'm starting to work on the FWF kit and was wondering if there is anything special I should know about how they mount. For example, do the pressure sensors work ok in the manifold supplied by Van's?

Bill Rambo
RV-7A
Superior IO-360

Yes, they'll work just fine.. there's nothing tricky about their sensors... standard stuff..

Caution!

If you do use vans manifold, and it has a coating on it, the coating will act as an insulator. Your gauges will read off it they don't have a good ground.

Run a tap in to clean out the treads. They must be shiney alum. color. When you mount it, make sure the bolt is well grounded also. Check it with an ohm meter. The resistance in any connection will show up in the gauge and make the temps and pressures read off.

That manifold is not all that great. It's in the way on the firewall, and makes you plumb all pressure hoses to one location. BY the way, keep the area around the oil filter clear. You won't regret it. ;)

Warren

As stated above, all of the sensors are very basic, and standard. I used the Van's manifold on the firewall, and it was bare aluminum, so I didn't have any electrical issues, but I did have to build a little spacer out of square aluminum stock (from Home Depot Aviation Supply) to move the manifold about a half inch from the firewall to all room for the oil and fuel pressure sensors. Just looked at the assembly very closely last weekend, and it all looks just like new. No issues.

Paul

spacer

Ironflight said:
As stated above, all of the sensors are very basic, and standard. I used the Van's manifold on the firewall, and it was bare aluminum, so I didn't have any electrical issues, but I did have to build a little spacer out of square aluminum stock (from Home Depot Aviation Supply) to move the manifold about a half inch from the firewall to all room for the oil and fuel pressure sensors. Just looked at the assembly very closely last weekend, and it all looks just like new. No issues.

Paul

I am building an 8A and I am near the point of installing the manifold on the firewall. I noted that Paul (Mr. Dye) had to build a spacer. Did anyone else have to do that? Paul, do you have a pic of the spacer?

I do not yet have a clear picture of where all that firewall forward stuff goes. Therefore I don't understand the interference issues yet.

Thanks,

Tony

Amazing! I actually have a picture of this! As I mentioned, the spacer is just a piece of square aluminum tube that had the exact same dimensions as the manifold.

p2150054jk1.jpg

Hope that helps...

Paul

thanks for the pic

Paul,

Thanks for the pic, it does indeed help. I see that you mounted your manifold in a horizonally. The plans show it mounted vertically. I know that you think things through carefully, so there must be a reason for that.

Thanks again,

Tony