flickroll

Well Known Member
I'm planning a GRT/Tru-Trak system for my -8 (would be a completely new panel from what is pictured). I have a question for those that have this set up: how essential is it to have the Tru-Trak autopilot head in your main panel? From what I have been reading, for a GRT installation, the Tru-Trak system is usually in GPSS mode, and the GRT EFIS then commands the autopilot. I would like to mount the Tru-Trak DigiFlight II VSGV head in the left side panel of my -8, which is not in my normal scan area. I'm limited on panel space and would like to use this location for the TT head. I think this would be OK, but would like to hear opinions. I would put it in the hole that is below the left hand air vent in the picture (immediately to the left of the transponder). Thanks!

web.jpg

Last edited:
TT Auto

Mount the TT head where it can be accessed easily. You won't look at it much, but when ATC calls "Turn to heading of XXX, you can get out of GPSS, twist the knob and turn quickly.

This doesn't mean that it has to be in the normal scan for IFR, just put it where it is accessable.

I think that will work. I fly with the autopilot not coupled to the EFIS and coupled and find it easy to do with the AP to the left. It is a great combination.

felker.jpg

One pilot's experience

My TT (flat pack) is not in my scan, but I often use it independently of the GRT EFIS. You can, for example, steer the airplane with the knob to the GPS track displayed on the TT. You can also leave steering on and turn off altitude hold/control for making a long descent to an airport. Mine is receiving its signal from a two-position switch. One position routes the input to the TT from the EFIS but the other takes it directly from the Garmin '496. This provides a redundancy of sorts. It's also good for steering intercept courses when beginning an IFR flight. And, of course, the TT comes awake in AP Off mode (power is controlled with a separate breaker/switch) so I need to be able to get to the on-off control.

One reason to steer with the TT is when doing speed testing. I put the airplane into full AP mode (track, not GPSS) and I get "perfect" tracks and constant altitude to use with the 3-way speed run methods, NTPS spreadsheet.

I think that as long as you can reach it easily and see it when you look over there that it's good enough. Mine is a -7A, so you have less of a challenge. I put mine where the passenger can use it in an emergency. In the picture, it's above the radio stack. The power switch is the leftmost on the lower row of the 10 together. The source selector switch is just left of the TT and just below the ELT control.

Jim -

You'll actually use the TT head every time that you want to engage GPSS and/or GPSV - you have to push those buttons to engage it to the GRT. Once you've engaged it, you won't HAVE to use it (you can change heading or altitude on the GRT, and the TT will obediently follow. You WILL occasionally see a "trim up" or "trim down" indication on the TT head which will need to catch your attention - I sometimes miss it, and it is just to the left of my GRT - just haven't added it to my "scan" yet.

You can also drive the autopilot directly from the head, and sometimes that is the quickest thing to do if you're only engaging for a moment here and there. I am glad that I mounted mine close to the GRT stack as I don't have to go out of my way to use it standalone when I want to....

Paul

It will do

Given your panel that is your best option without a complete overhaul. Mine is in the exact same location. If I was doing it over I would prefer it to be more central but you/we have limitations of space.

Roll with it....

It is a great device!

Thanks on the input guys. Looks like it would work 'OK' on the left, but would be better in a more central location. Since I'll be completely redoing my panel with a new Van's panel blank, and since I think I'll mount the G696 in the same spot, I'll probably use a TT 'flat pack' installed above the G696, with left edge alignment. Thanks again!

Hi Jim,
That's a great looking panel you have there already.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're less than enamored with the Dynon autopilot, and this is leading you to the panel change??

Regards,

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're less than enamored with the Dynon autopilot, and this is leading you to the panel change??

Hi Jon

The Dynon autopilot is 'OK'. It works pretty well, but I do find that depending on conditions for a given day, such as changing turbulence, that I need to adjust the sensitivity to keep the plane from being 'sluggish' or 'jerky'. But all in all it does pretty well, will track GPS nav right on, and altitude usually within 20 feet, typically 10 feet. Heading tracking is 'OK' outside of the above mentioned sensitivity changes. On a fairly bumpy day the autopilot does have a hard time. Also, I have Dynon's middle torque servos installed. The 32 was not strong enough for pitch, so I changed it to a 42, and while a 32 was barely adequate for roll, changing it to a 42 gave me better adjustment options. Dynon's support during my tweaking and decision to change to the 42 servos was absolutely excellent.

The main reason I'm going to change out the panel is because what I currently have is just not adequate for IMC. It is legal for IFR, but I do not consider it safe for IMC, which is a big difference. I wish I had contemplated my mission a little more thoroughly before I designed and built my current panel. Would have saved some bucks and lots of work in the long run. On the other hand, 'experimental' makes all of this possible without some really major heartburn....

Last edited: