Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I got an email notice from Grand Rapids yesterday about a service bulletin that they just issued on their EFIS rotary knobs. I actually had this happen on a cross-country a month or so ago - the right knob on my #1 DU slipped on the shaft, and I couldn't push it in (as a "button"). no big problem - I just moved the PFD down and entered altimeter settings and altitude selections for the autopilot on the #2 DU. But it's nice to see a fix - and a very simple and elegant one at that!

Date: July 14, 2010
Subject: EFIS Rotary Encoder Knob - SB-0001

Models Affected: Sport HS, SX and Horizon HS, HX

Time of compliance: As soon as possible or within the next 25 hours of operation.

GRT Avionics has determined the set screw which holds the rotary encoder knob to the rotary encoder shaft may/will come loose over time rendering the rotary encoder inoperable with the knob in place. Removing the knob will allow operation of the rotary encoder until the repair can be performed.

Recommendation: Use a 0.050 inch allen wrench. Loosen the set screw and remove the knob from the rotary encoder shaft. Insert supplied spacer into the knob as far in as possible until seated in the knob. Replace knob onto rotary encoder shaft. There should be approximately 1/16 inch spacing between the EFIS bezel face and the knob skirt. Tighten set screw.

Operate the knob/rotary encoder to check for proper operation. The rotary encoder should ?click? when pressed and rotate/?click? when turned.

This ends the recommended repair and should take less than five minutes per knob to complete.

Link to their service bulletin: http://grtavionics.com/File/Service Bulletins/SB-0001.pdf

This is good. I actually had this problem when I was installing my units and trying to get them set up. I had forgotten about it though.

I tried getting on their website to read more but got a "server unavailable" error. Funny thing is that the .pdf Paul points to was available.

Do I need to do anything to get the insert? Or will they be sending them out to everyone automatically?

Insert comes from where?

I haven't had this problem yet and haven't taken the knobs off for the heck of it to look inside. Is the insert mentioned already in the knob or will everyone be getting a knob shipped to them automatically?

The email I got from GRT (I signed up on their mailing list awhile back) said to let them know how many inserts you want via email. Seems to me, they should have said that on the service bulletin.

(Lucky - I just posted this on the GRT Yahoo Group...)

Paul

Last edited: