rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I am trying to get my GRT Horizon 1 single screen EFIS to send the ALT encoder signal to my GTX327 transponder. EFIS Connecter A description, pin 1 Serial Out 6-RS232 ALT Encoder Output*-is that the key? and where does it go? Have the alt/transponder check again soon and need to get this sorted out with my limited avionics knowledge.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Set the Serial Out on the GRT to FADC.

Even though Alt Encoder seems logical, FADC is the correct setting.

Please spell out what you said in terms possible for a Marine, who is used to pictures, to understand.
Thanks for your help.

Set the Serial Out on the GRT to FADC.

Even though Alt Encoder seems logical, FADC is the correct setting.

Hmmmm....my notes say that I have the GRT Serial Out to the transponder (327) set to AltEnc1/Alt Enc #1 and 9600 baud Rick. On the 327 side, I have mine set to ICARUS (I just went out and checked). I have no idea what ICARU format is, but it works!

For the Marine - did you wire the system? If so, you shoudl know which of the GRT channels are connected to the transponder. I think the default is channel 6, as you mention. In that case, set the format to AltEnc1/AltEnc #1. To do that, the easiest thing is to read the manual - Marines are supposed to be good at that as well, right?;)

The 327 Manual is easier - it actually has pictures - check out section 3.3.5 for the serial port settings.

Last edited:
GRT encoder wiring

Ron

Pin number 1 on display unit one connector A is serial #6 and is suggested to be used for the encoder output. you can put it on any of the serials that you want or have empty.

that pin should connect to the GTX327 on pin#2(RS-232 in#2) or pin #19(RS-232 in #1).

Setup the EFIS serial output to ""FUEL/AIR DATA Z FORMAT""
on the GTX 327 setup the Serial port for ""FADC W/ALT""

Make sure the cursor is off on the GTX before you power it down for the reboot and everything should work.

Ben

Thanks for the replies, understanding and help. I may have put the GTX-327 into B d-sub(the one that lists everything for future expansion) rather than A. Will check when I get to the airport.

Thank you all for your trouble. I installed a female D-sub and moved it to pin1 in A and set it up like the 327 manual and Mark at GRT suggested. Works like a charm. Thanks to all.