Lars

Well Known Member
Sponsor
(brown) Santa showed up a couple of weeks ago bearing big boxes containing my GRT EFIS and other goodies. Among them a GRT backup battery. I am now trying to figure out where to install it in my slider -7. If anyone has installed one of these I'd be much obliged if you have a photo or two to share.

Thanks!

my choice

Since no one replied to you, I will tell you what I did. When I built my RV7a, GRT did not have a battery backup option but I added a backup battery. My choice was to mount a bracket that I made from 3/4 inch angle stock to the back side of the subpanel in front of the pilot. To remove the backup battery for servicing, I remove the GRT screen in front of the pilot, unscrew the two screws on the front side of the subpanel which hold the backup battery and bracket. When I replaced the battery at 3 years, I also added a wire to enable charging the backup battery. This design and location has worked well in my RV7a for the last 4 years. As I do a panel upgrade to an RV10 this winter, I am going to install the same design.

Since no one replied to you, I will tell you what I did. When I built my RV7a, GRT did not have a battery backup option but I added a backup battery. My choice was to mount a bracket that I made from 3/4 inch angle stock to the back side of the subpanel in front of the pilot. To remove the backup battery for servicing, I remove the GRT screen in front of the pilot, unscrew the two screws on the front side of the subpanel which hold the backup battery and bracket. When I replaced the battery at 3 years, I also added a wire to enable charging the backup battery. This design and location has worked well in my RV7a for the last 4 years. As I do a panel upgrade to an RV10 this winter, I am going to install the same design.

Thanks, Tom-

I seem to have a knack for asking about things that are either really obscure or really boring :rolleyes:

The GRT backup battery is in an aluminum case. It's long and skinny and sort of on the heavy side, but it does have a charging circuit built in, and an output for monitoring the charge state. I tried holding it up to the back side of the subpanel in the location you described, and it looks like I may be able to make that work. I got the big GRT display, so access will be easy with it removed.