miyu1975

Well Known Member
May sound like a dumb question..., but here goes...with the GRT (sport) is a pitot required or not. I have been reading up on the AHRS info on there website and it sounds like with AHRS you do not need a pitot tube..true?

May sound like a dumb question..., but here goes...with the GRT (sport) is a pitot required or not. I have been reading up on the AHRS info on there website and it sounds like with AHRS you do not need a pitot tube..true?
Nope! Need pitot and static.

Well.. it IS needed if you want it to show airspeed and altitude.. then pitot and static is needed :) But if you're referring to attitude indicator stuff and AHRS and all that.. then no.. you do not need it for that.. it's using magnetometer to aid the attitude solution.

But.......will the GRT **** out missing that info....

c r a p

Since when is **** a bad word...?

But.......will the GRT **** out missing that info....

Nope...GRT depends on the use of the magnetometer for an external reference to its AHRS. As far as I know, Dynon is the only EFIS which is dependent on the pitot/static system.

As far as I know, Dynon is the only EFIS which is dependent on the pitot/static system.

From what I have read the TruTrak EFIS would also have that dependency in that it uses vertical speed to maintain the horizon.

Just to fully clarify this for those who might be reading this years from now, as they do their research: miyu1975 asked two different questions, and he was answered with one answer.

The answer to the first question is YES, a pitot tube IS required. And the answer to the second question is NO, it is NOT true that you do NOT need a pitot tube. I was mightily confused when I read the first few answers posted here.

Yeesh. Maybe it's just me.. :rolleyes: Sorry.

What I'm trying to emphasize is that if you want a fully-functional GRT Sport EFIS, with airspeed and altitude (as most people do), then you need a pitot-static system.

Is that not correct?

Last edited: