rv8180

Well Known Member
For those of you with flying RV8/8A's, using GRT EFIS, or similar, where did you mount the AHRS module?

Have you experienced any troubles/electronic interference, etc due to this location?

I'm mounting components :eek: now and will greatly appreciate your input.
The battery, ELT and strobe power pack will be mounted aft, just in front of the elevator bell crank.

Thanks!
Roy
RV8QB
AEIO-390 Catto 3

Last edited:
I have a Rocket, which is close to an RV-8. I mounted the AHRS behind the panel as close to the display units as I could make it. I would think you'd want it in close proximity to the display units and the engine monitor module otherwise, that's a lot of wires to run aft somewhere. You also need to make allowances for connections to pitot and static lines.

AHRS

f1rocket said:
I have a Rocket, which is close to an RV-8. I mounted the AHRS behind the panel as close to the display units as I could make it. I would think you'd want it in close proximity to the display units and the engine monitor module otherwise, that's a lot of wires to run aft somewhere. You also need to make allowances for connections to pitot and static lines.

Thanks for the helpful info, Randy.
Would mounting the AHRS, in close proximity to the radios, cause any weird effects with the EFIS when transmitting?

Right in front of the panel....

I also mounted mine right in front of the center of the instrument panel - I built a shelf that rests on the two gear tower spreaders. It is just maybe two inches ahead of the DU's, and only a couple from my radios, and I have had no intereference problems at all.

Paul

AHRS locating

send me an email and I'll send you pictures of my RV8 AHRS shelf constuction.

It works great and there's no interference. Easy maintenance access as well.

Luckymacy at comcast.net

Here's a Pic....

Here's a shot of my AHRS mounting location during construction:

pb070012mx4.jpg

The only problem I encountered is that the front mounting screws are a little tough to get to once you've riveteed on the forward top skin. You mihg think about a way around that.

Paul

AHRS

lucky said:
send me an email and I'll send you pictures of my RV8 AHRS shelf constuction.

It works great and there's no interference. Easy maintenance access as well.

Luckymacy at comcast.net

I sent you an email. Thanks! for the offer.

Roy
RV9QB
wiring

rv8180 said:
Thanks for the helpful info, Randy.
Would mounting the AHRS, in close proximity to the radios, cause any weird effects with the EFIS when transmitting?
As long as your radio wires are grounded at the chassis (per their instructions) you won't have any interference problems. Also, keep the runs away from any power leads running to your fuse box, etc. You don't have to be anal about it, just don't bundle them together for any great distances and all should be just fine.

f1rocket said:
As long as your radio wires are grounded at the chassis (per their instructions) you..............

Thanks! Randy.
I'm grateful for everyone's input. You're all great, for a newbie like me.

Roy
RV8QB
Wiring

ahrs mounting

I PLACED THE AHRS ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF THE CO-PILOT SEAT. IT NEEDS TO BE LEVELED WITH A LEVEL AND POSSIBLY SHIMED TO MAKE CERTAIN THAT IS IS LEVEL WITH THE MAGNATOMER. SP. 130 HRS IN IT WORKS GREAT. THE GRT EFIS IS REALLY REMARKABLE.

FRED

GRT AHRS Mounting in RV8

I plan to use the shelf construction as posted by a couple of folks (Thanks, great idea and a quick answer to my search). In response to Paul's comment "The only problem I encountered is that the front mounting screws are a little tough to get to once you've riveted on the forward top skin"; I though I'd add my thoughts, for what its worth.

I plan to put two nutplates on a strip of aluminum that I will lay (w/ dab of "Shoe Goo", Bob Nuckolls favorite stuff) upside down on top of the forward mounting screwholes for the AHRS and put screws in from the bottom, which is easier to access. The strip of aluminum will hold the nutplates from turning.

Paul, my curiousity has to ask the purpose of the row of rivets on the aft end of the shelf in your picture; maybe an oops correction for height? BTW, thanks for the picture, it saved me a lot of time. :)

Harold

Harold Lanfear said:
Paul, my curiousity has to ask the purpose of the row of rivets on the aft end of the shelf in your picture; maybe an oops correction for height? BTW, thanks for the picture, it saved me a lot of time. :)

Harold

I guess I was just designing as I went - that is a piece of angle that the two screws are going through (to connect to the cross brace) and the rivets hold the shelf to the angle. I guess I could have made a Z-Bend in the top and aft parts of the shelf, but that will be on the "Mark II" model I guess.... :rolleyes: